circuit testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am moving house and will be having an rcb box fitted when the qualified electrician has time available but i would like to make sure the circuits will pass testing. is it practical for me to test the circuits with hired equipment. i am an engineer by profession and have done a lot of wiring in previouse house including fitting there an rcb box. that was before current legislation.

Sponsored Links
bobold said:
i am moving house and will be having an rcb box fitted when the qualified electrician has time available but i would like to make sure the circuits will pass testing. is it practical for me to test the circuits with hired equipment. i am an engineer by profession and have done a lot of wiring in previouse house including fitting there an rcb box. that was before current legislation.

anyone can test providing they have the correct equipment. but just because you have the right equipment doesnt mean you know how to use them and understand the readings

and do you mean RCD?

This is best left for the 'qualified electrician' to do as he should do it before he replaces CU as part of that work anyway. You could always get a PIR done before hand if you are worried.
Even with the correct equipment and correct readings do you think you will be able to use these to properly diagnose any potential faults?
Also be aware that the insulation testing can cause damage if not carried out with care which could cost you more in the long run.

Testing is only part of it - there is the inspection and verification. Could you say weather the circuit would pass or not by looking at ?? I recommend a PIR to start with - with a new consumer unit (not RCB box), you will no doubt require new tails and main equipotential bonding.

As for the CU, weather it will be a CU protected fully by an RCD, or weather it will be a slit load type will depend on your supply earthing arrangements.

Sponsored Links
pdcelec said:
bobold said:
what do the initials stand for
What intitials?

bobold said:
and could i do this myself.
I dont know. Could you?

it was not very clear sorry .what do the initials PIR stand for and if this is a test can i do this part myself. i have set an electricianian on to change the fuse box etc

bobold said:
it was not very clear sorry .what do the initials PIR stand for and if this is a test can i do this part myself.
Periodic Inspection Report.

These are the forms you need to complete:

1128806202_PIR1.jpg

1128806462_PIR2.jpg

1128806694_SCHEDULE.jpg

1128806977_SCHEDULE2.jpg

You'll find them in Appendix 6 of the Wiring Regulations (which you will need, as part of a PIR involves deciding on how well the installation complies with BS 7671), and you can also download them from here:

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/Forms_2004.pdf

You'll find info about testing here: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.1.1.htm , but you should also get a copy of Guidance Note 3.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back