Wiring query

Sponsored Links
As long as it goes through there's no problem.

It's when some of it comes out that you have to worry....

As long as it goes through there's no problem. It's when some of it comes out that you have to worry....
Very true!

To return to topic, your point about cable with a 20A Iz being acceptable for a 32 ring final is a good one and, as you imply, suggests that '20A' JBs should be OK in such a circuit. Indeed, I doubt you'd be able to get anyone to say that the terminals of other accessories (particularly sockets and FCUs) commonly wired into rings are 'rated' at 32A, although I'm sure that most are 'fit for purpose'.

Personally, flak or not, I take the 'current ratings' of JBs with a large pinch of salt. What matters to me is the conductor accommodating capacity (as judged by me, not by what's written on the JB) of the JB terminals. I've seen plenty of cheapo '30A JBs' in which I would not attempt to terminate, say, 3 x 2.5mm² cables, yet some better quality '20A' ones which would be fine for that job!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I've seen plenty of cheapo '30A JBs' in which I would not attempt to terminate, say, 3 x 2.5mm² cables, yet some better quality '20A' ones which would be fine for that job!

Definitely. Some of the worst 30A types can be a real squeeze just to connect two 4 sq. mm conductors together in one terminal without some careful "packing" down of the strands first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back