Upstairs Ring Circuit B32
Attic Ring Circuit B32

Downstairs Lighting B6
Upstairs Lighting B6
Attic Lighting B6

Cooker Cable 6mm Direct B32 (or not?)

Shower 1 Cable 10mm Direct B40
Shower 2 Cable 10mm Direct B40

1.5 mm Fire Alarm 2 Core Cable B6 (or not)

Can someone help me out on the MCB's, are they correct.

The consumer Unit will have two RCB's, and can the Cooker MCB be outside the RCB????

And any recommendations on how many MCB's on each RCB????

I hope this is not too much for you guys...

One more thought I have had, why not get rid of all MCB's and RCB's and replace all on a RCBO system, with each circuit having its own RCB... Would that be recommended?

Thank you guys..

Sponsored Links
What consumer unit would anyone recommend

Wylex, MK or Hager

Can someone help me out on the MCB's, are they correct.

Looks OK with the limited design info supplied

The consumer Unit will have two RCB's, and can the Cooker MCB be outside the RCB????

Depends, but probably not

And any recommendations on how many MCB's on each RCB????

Split it 50/50

I hope this is not too much for you guys...

One more thought I have had, why not get rid of all MCB's and RCB's and replace all on a RCBO system, with each circuit having its own RCB... Would that be recommended?

If you have the budget

Thank you guys..

As you are in England I assume you are going to comply with PART P of the building regs?

I have a full RCBO board waiting for my mate to come and put in, if you can afford it go all RCBO, I mean, our RCD basically never trips, I just like the knowledge that with RCBO's, you won't loose all those circuits.

I'd love to have a dedicated computer radial with no RCD protection but that would involve too much wall channeling :(

Sponsored Links
Since the supplier will give you a 100 amp feed, what do you think will happen when both showers, the cooker, a kettle and the tumble drier are being used at the same time?

I would suggest you consider unvented hw storage, so hw made by boiler and fed to showers at mains pressure. Or alternatively standard stored hw and a whole house pump to ramp up the hw to 2 bar+

An excellent idea, and that is what all installations should have.

Unfortunately most people will not have this because it costs slightly more than the dual RCD option, and most people appear to choose electrical work based on the lowest possible price, rather than what they are actually getting for their money.

Two electric showers can most likely be used on a single supply, however electric showers are cack. Only fit them if there is no other option.

The other two realistic options being:
1. Mains pressure hot water cylinder - depending on water pressure and flow rates available.
2. Gravity hot water cylinder with one or more pumps for showers.
Either can be heated via a gas boiler, or electric elements if no gas available.

There is also the combi boiler option, but for two decent showers that will be useless, and also depends on water pressure and flow.

For the sake of you and your family's safety I hope you are not going to carry out this work yourself considering the basic nature of the questions you are asking :!:

An excellent idea, and that is what all installations should have.

Unfortunately most people will not have this because it costs slightly more.
Whats the scope for having the showers, cooker, and prehaps a computer on a RCBOs of the main switch, then two RCD with MCBs after that?

Daniel

All split boards can be configured, 90% of mine have 2 x rcd rails, then the direct rail for rcbo's for smoke detection (and a light circuit), fridge circuit and alarm circuit.

Nuisance trip is a PITA, best will always be each circuit on an RCBO, but best costs £200+ 10 x rcbo's and $40 for a case, a 10w split with rcds and mcbs cost £100

Always quote the cheapest solution and add in a designers suggestion as an option.

ok can two showers go directly in B40 RCBO??? and is this the consumer unit i need, which looks cheap..
No two electric showers cannot go to one 40Amp RCBO.

I take it you are fitting this Consumer Unit - something I would advise against given your obvious lack of knowledge of circuit design as outlined below.
For two electric showers you must inform your DNO - you will find that on the manufacturers instructions.
Have you worked out your maximum demand for the consumer unit - again you will find the manufacturers instructions will stipulate you must not go beyond the 100Amps. While it might be acceptable to go a little over your design, even after applying diversity, goes way over the limit.
You will need two Consumer Units and in all honesty someone to come in and help you properly design the circuits you need - I mean why four ring final circuits when one for the kitchen and three 20Amp radials would be fine.

I am not doing this myself just learning a few pointers..

One more question, Lets say there are number of wires in the lighting circuit where you have wall lights and centre lights, is there a tester that would help the distinguish which wire goes where???

Once I saw a guy with a tester, with all the electrics off he was able to find out which wire from the switch went to the centre light and which went to the lights on the wall. What do you call that tester...

op you aren't listening, so I'm not posting anything more to help you.

Why ask for help, if you won't pay any attention?

I am not doing this myself just learning a few pointers..
Well you need to read this first.
http://electrical.theiet.org/books/regulations/17th-edition-amd1.cfm
One more question, Lets say there are number of wires in the lighting circuit where you have wall lights and centre lights, is there a tester that would help the distinguish which wire goes where???
Yes there is but it won't help unless you understand how to test and how to interpret test results. You need to read this first.
http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/jon+elliot/guidance+note+3/6276119/

Once I saw a guy with a tester, with all the electrics off he was able to find out which wire from the switch went to the centre light and which went to the lights on the wall. What do you call that tester...
Read the above Guidance book and all will be revealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back