Is this an odd door size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace the old white door on my bathroom with a nice wooden one. I've measure the door as 683 * 1885mm but none of the doors I've looked at in B+Q, screwfix etc are that size. Is this an odd size for a door?

Also my bedroom is in the loft and has no door, its a very small opening measured at 610 * 1620mm how would I go about getting a door for this unusual size?

I'm going to pay someone to fit these as I really don't think I could get it right, does anyone have any idea on the average price for fitting a door?

Lots of questions so thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
Those doors do look a bit unusual. Your best bet would be to contact some local joiners for quotes. They may well give you a price to "supply and fit". They'll undoubtedly be a better product than the "off the shelf" stuff anyway and likely not much more expensive.

Thanks for the reply. I found a joiner in the yellow pages only a few minutes away so I'll give him a call see what sort of prices I'm looking at.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "Standard Size". Doors are modified to fit door frames and not vice-versa. You'll be very lucky to get an off the shelf door that fits stright into the door frame perfectly without any alterations. You need to buy the next size up (bigger) and cut it down to fit.
Thats only half the job done.
Me and the missus have just moved into a very old house and in my wisdom I decided to remove all the internal doors and replace them with full height glazed doors. It was only when I came to fit the doors that I realised just how much the house had moved since it was originally built. Some of the door frames were actually crooked and warped which mean't that I either had to replace all the door frames with new wood or cut the new doors at all sorts of funny angles just to get them to fit fit.
I decided on the latter as we dont intend to be living here for too long and I didn't want to spend the money. It was a nightmare I could have done without to be honest but I want to share the experience and warn anybody of the types of problems they may encounter when replacing doors in older homes. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back