trip switch didn't

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last weekend I was awoken by a strange noises from the bathroom.When I investigated I was met with a cloud of smoke coming from the shower in the bathroom. I switched off the shower cord(which I always leave on) and removed the front of the shower unit to find the inside totally black and melted(it's a Triton). Anyway, the worrying thing is that the trip switch did not operate even though if something had gone short circuit then surely a huge current would be being drawn. :confused:

Sponsored Links
steevoOK said:
Last weekend I was awoken by a strange noises from the bathroom.When I investigated I was met with a cloud of smoke coming from the shower in the bathroom. I switched off the shower cord(which I always leave on) and removed the front of the shower unit to find the inside totally black and melted(it's a Triton). Anyway, the worrying thing is that the trip switch did not operate even though if something had gone short circuit then surely a huge current would be being drawn. :confused:

was the ELI acceptable to trip the MCB?

RCD or MCB.......

A 40amp mcb would require 40amp.......and a bit. A direct short would blow the trip, but a steady flow of inhibited current would not.

The house is only 5 years old and its RCD 100A. The switch connected to the shower circuit has NSB40 written on it. I take it this means it takes 40 A to trip it. I never knew a shower could draw so much. In my old house the shower trip switch used to go 2 or 3 times a month just with normal use!

Sponsored Links
steevoOK said:
I never knew a shower could draw so much. In my old house the shower trip switch used to go 2 or 3 times a month just with normal use!

they can use loads of power. if the shower in your old house tripped often it probably had the wrong mcb and possibly cable

Cheers for the advice guys. I'm going to try and replace it next week with another Triton.

Was the fault actually a wiring fault??? Do you have a picture of the shower post-event? Perhaps the heating element came on, drawing 35-40A, its normal operating current, and obviously with no water flowing, it was overheating, thus causing the damage you describe.

I don't think its a wiring fault and your suggestion that the heating element may have powered up would explain why the trip didn't work. I'll take a photo of it tonight.

well dont leave the shower with power to it all the time. not much can go wrong with no power

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back