grouting mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tiled the floor of a large basement with standard ceramic tiles (not very thick. I will be grouting with a mix of sand and cement. Does the sand have to be a special grade? Is a three to one mix appropriate? Can a dry mix be applied by brush and then sprinkled with water, so as to save time, or is this just used with outside paving slabs?

Sponsored Links
Why not use a wide joint grout?

Whats the thinking behind the sand/cement?

I understood that a mortar mix was a commonly used alternative to grout. Apart from this I have a lot of sand and cement left over from putting down the screed. This will go to waste if I use grout and grout is quite expensive. The basement floor is 125 sq mtrs.

A quality grout will set far harder than sand/cement.

Ardex C2 grey will be about £5 for an 11kg bag and you'll need maybe 7 or 8 bags for 125sq/m with a 5mm joint.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for advice. I have now finished the floor using grouting mix as recommended. I am very pleased with the result and the cost was much less than I had expected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back