Washing Machine does not heat water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive noticed our Hotpoint 1100 Washer/Dryer WD61 doesn't seem to be heating the water to the correct temperature. It seems to get to a program where the water fills up, and should heat to say 40, but the front dial quickly moves to the next stage, without waiting for the water to heat properly.

Everything else seems to be working, and i've checked that both the cold and hot pipes are serving water ok, i know that the hot water is entering the drum, as i stopped it mid-fill to check the water and it was 'warm'.

Any ideas where i can start to look?

Sponsored Links
What you describe sounds a little "odd" to say the least.
Check the resistance of the heater is about 20 ohms.
you could also check the supply wiring and the crimp connectors as these somtimes go high resistance and get hot.
whats got me confused is the advancing of the programme.
quite unusual on hotpoint machines.
I'm a whirlpool engineer and am only guessing at your problem

there is an easier / safer way to check the heater, after filling the drum will move for a while then stop, this is called heat pause, open the soap drawer an listen very carefuly, you will hear the water being heated (or not as the case may be) i should suspect your heater has given up as hotpoint came out with an idea that if the heater doesnt work it does indeed move on one step.

Gees, you know how to take a m/c apart (so do i for my sins) but unless you know how and where /what the heater looks like, it is best left to people like you. i do not suppose the poster has a meter to check its resistance with any way.

after all this is a DIY forum, and some things are not for the diy person.

(and i am not saying where all the 9 screws are to get to the heater)

:oops: I get carried away and assume everyone has masses of test gear :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help guys.
I thought it may be something like that. either the heater or the sensor, just didn't know where to start. :confused:

Ive not got test kit, just a few screwdrivers and a curious mind :). I replaced the door unit on the machine, which went fine, but that was more mechanical than electrical.

The machine is getting on for 4 years old and apart from that has been working fine since.

If the heater part is not easy to replace, then i guess im going to get a new machine at the weekend. (as the missus is moaning we've got no washing done! :rolleyes: ).

Thanks again.

have you not called some one out for it? it is cheaper than a new m/c

Yea if you throwing it out.. can I have it?
got to be in the north east though.
A new heater is wirthwhile fitting even if you have to "have it done" by a pro.

We decided to get someone out to fix it.

Came along and decided it was the heater, so spent quite awhile replacing the heater unit. The one that was in the machine had buckeled - probably from some metal off some clothing or something. He checked the sump, and then started the machine, said leave it to do a full cycle before doing a wash.

he left,

i waited for it to finish, then loaded it up with washing, and when the washing had finished, noticed that the clothes were cold. (whereas usually they are steaming hot!)

took clothes out, and started the machine and watched it go through the cycles, still does what it did before, it doesnt seem to wait for the water to heat before it goes onto the next stage.

So im now going to have to call em back out on monday :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back