polystyrene wallpaper backing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering about tools and technique for quick and effective removal of large sheets. Potentially messier than work just with tiles. Thanks. :?:

Sponsored Links
svetty said:
Was wondering about tools and technique for quick and effective removal of large sheets. Potentially messier than work just with tiles. Thanks. :?:

Large sheets of what?....inch thick insulating polysterene or the thin stuff used for treating cols walls?

No wall paper has a polysterene backing.

A wide bladed scraper seems to be the best thing. Use a steam striper to get rid of the adhesive that is left on the walls.

The next thing is: would you want to remove it anyway? justification for it would seem to be thermal rather than cosmetic, as condition of underlying plaster looks pretty good, judging from the small area I've exposed behind the sofa, and I dare say these high-up end-of-terrace external walls can feel seriously cold in winter. So, it's probably best left, changing just the wallpaper if you don't like what you've got. Or are there thermal paints around now that are just as effective as polystyrene?

Sponsored Links
When I moved in to my previous place, it had polystyrene sheet under all the bedroom wall wallpaper. Not sure why one would need to ask, why remove. Can understand the question, why put up though. Every slight knock marked the wall.

Just scrape it off, that's what I did. And you may find your walls are ok. I think mine were covered to hide the patches of damp / mildew !

Used to be called KOTINA. was all the rage in the 80s bloody stuff. supposed to be cure all for condensation, damp. cold rooms, used to put it in built in wardrobes against outside wall. Whenever I see it nowadays I usually find it hanging off and its hiding fungus/ mildew (like garyo said). I did ask someone clever once what thermal properties this stuff had and he said do you really think that a 1/8th thickness of polystyrene will insulate a cold wall? I'd get it off and have a bottle of bleach ready. ;)

The biggest problem is if there is a fire. It releases deadly gases.

joe

Balls!......

.............are another problem....which you strip the paper...loads of tiny polysterene balls everywhere....real pain to sweep them up. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back