Polystyrene tiles fire safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed some old polystyrene tiles due to concerns over fire safety but this has left a patchy adhesive covered ceiling. I have read and tried the methods for removing this but with little success - the plaster just gets damaged. My question is are the polystyrene tiles sold now fire proof as I am tempted to put new ones back up. If not, can anyone suggest a reasonable DIY alternative.

Sponsored Links
The ones on sale now have an additive that inhibits fire.

But you should still only use a water based paint on them.

Plastering would be a solution....but costly

Artex....after a good coat of pva....again coud be costly and you would probably have to have an heavy pattern to cover the adhesive left behind.

Avoid textured paints..they are rubbish and dont really work anyway

Re tiling might be the most cost effective option left....use thick wallpaper adhesive and spread it over all of the tile and not just the corners.

use a blade scraper and if its still bad get a price of a plasterer because if you put up tiles again you will be kicking yourself in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tips. I decided to get a plasterer around. For £100 he'll re skim it. He's coming tomorrow.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back