Power supply and lighting to a new shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help. I have just put down a concrete base for my new shed. It is going to be put up next week. Approx. 20ftx5ft. I want to install a couple of double sockets and lightning. How do I take the supply out. Half of the shed is next to my house wall. Can I drill thru the wall and take a cable out from an existing socket (as a spur I suppose) to do both supply and lighting jobs? Please help asap !! Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
is the shed a lean to? or is there a wooden wall against the house wall?

if it is a lean to, you can run a cable through the wall, connect an FCU and make the electrics in the shed a 13A spur.

if there are 2 walls, it is more complex, since the cable will run outside and needs protection. Use a metaclad FCU in the house, run SWA out through the walls with a bit of slack (drip loop) between the walls (sheds shrink and expand slightly, they are wood, the foundations may move slightly too over time), and terminate in a metaclad socket in the shed. Needs metaclad for the SWA to terminate.

just noticed:
I want to install a couple of double sockets and lightning
:LOL:

The shed is a stand alone unit (wooden) with a 2" gap from the side of the house. Can I just drill thru wall and shed wall?

Sponsored Links
sorry aquarius, i cn see you are looking for a cheap way out, but you need to follow my advice. Sheds move slightly and the cable run direct between the house and the shed needs to be protected. Use a short bit of SWA (steel wire armour) cable with a drip loop between shed and house, for drips and expansion. FCU is a Fused Connection Unit, they come in several breeds, with neons, switches, flex outlets, you just need a switch on yours. This bit of circuit must start with an FCU. The SWA needs to be terminated properly at both ends with glands in metal boxes (metaclad FCU and socket).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back