Disconnecting water hoses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old washing machine is being collected this morning and a new one delivered. I have tried to disconnedt the water hoses but have found there is nothing - no plastic lever - to enableme to turn the valves to a closed position. There is just an irregular shaped nut with a hole in it. It looks like something should screw into it. I have tried turning the nut with pliers but it isnt turning. Help ! Should I turn all the water off at the mains and leave the pipes with the valves in the on position. There is a hot and a cold pipe. If I do this do I have to drain the hot water tank first ? Why is life so complicated !

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the valves have jammed and someone has broken the levers trying to turn them. Whether you need to drain the hot water depends on your particular plumbing system but it is an option if all else fails.

Sponsored Links
all you have to do is reuse your existing hoses but before disconnecting from your old machine put a couple of kinks i the hose and hold tight while you unscrew them. do this for the hot pipe but the cold could be shut off at the rising main (stop cock)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back