Dimmer switch earth

Sei

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wired a one way steel dimmer switch a couple of years ago,I\\\'ve just got home and the switch was red hot,and the light had come on. I took off the switch, examined it,and I had forgotten to run a piece of earth wire from the switch to the box. I assume this caused the over heating,please reply if right,or could it be somethimg else.

Sponsored Links
I'm tempted not to reply, but I assume that "please reply if right" doesn't mean "please don't reply if wrong"....

Not connecting the earth would not have caused this failure.

Overloading it, or using the wrong type of load, would.

What rating is it, and what load, and type of load is on it?

Sponsored Links
what is the point of this forum if people dont point people in the right direction,people use this forum for info and its people like you that scare these people off,
People with out the knowledge of a sparky dont think about loads and rating because they think a light switch should be simple to fit.
What this forum is for is for all the people out there with the knowledge be it sparky or diy enthusiast to point the people that ask for help in the right direction and stop all these accidents.

At the end of the day sparkies are not gods :evil:

shrimp said:

Yes we are ;)

How many light 'bulbs' are you running from that dimmer, and what are their wattages.........determine told wattage - is it more or less than the maximum for the dimmer??

shrimp said:
what is the point of this forum if people dont point people in the right direction,people use this forum for info and its people like you that scare these people off,
People with out the knowledge of a sparky dont think about loads and rating because they think a light switch should be simple to fit.
What this forum is for is for all the people out there with the knowledge be it sparky or diy enthusiast to point the people that ask for help in the right direction and stop all these accidents.

And I take it, that you would be prepared to dish out free information about your trade in your own time? BTW, what is your trade?

Thakyou Shrimp for your comments,they have been duly noted ,and appreciated.As for Ban All Sheds, if ever you need to know anything pertaining to fine art, then I will be more than happy to be of assistance to you, you see, I am a art dealer ,not a sparky, and I certainly would never be derogatory to anyone who sought my advice,on the contary, I am more than happy to educate.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hi Lectrician, there are four bulbs 50w each,maximum load for the dimmer is 400 (200 for mains Halogen) as stated

shrimp said:
I was dipping out before I did....

C'mon, be reasonable:

Sei: It states Max load 400w (200w) for main halogen)

Me: And what are you running on it?

Sei: I was running it on the normal light switch

:?: :rolleyes: :?:

Things are known to break from time to time. If it were me, I'd replace the dimmer and see if the problem went away. I take it this fault condition is permanent at the moment, so if it's fixed it would be obvious.

The earth SHOULD be connected as it more than likely apart from being a safety electrical earth also a grounding path for stray interference currents to the electronics ie a shield.

the term you use Red Hot needs defining, is it so hot that you can't touch it or merely warm from being on all day?

the triac inside the dimmer may well have shorted and therefore the light is on all the time, to prove this the light will still be at half of the full light output if the dimmer is dimmed fully.

If this is the case then unfortunately a new dimmer will have to be purchased.

lastly have you added any lights recently and perhaps used energy efficient lamps instead of filament lamps?

Hi Kendor,The light was probably on full for an hour,the switch was very warm,I have removed the switch as it would not turn off,it a touch sensitve type.Thanks for your advice.

Sei said:
Hi Kendor,The light was probably on full for an hour,the switch was very warm,I have removed the switch as it would not turn off,it a touch sensitve type.Thanks for your advice.
the touch sensitive types are susceptible to damage or external noise triggering it does sound like it's gone kaput.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back