Replacing existing vinyl floor with ceramic tiles and underf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My present bathroom has self adhesive vinyl tiles over a couple of levelling screeds over floorboards. The house is about 100 yrs old, and we'd like to replace the existing vinyl mank with ceramic tiles and have underfloor heating as well. The floorboards aren't in such good shape, but they're OK, I'm wondering whether to

a) Chip off all the old cement etc, down to bare boards (About 1 - 2 cm in places), fit aquapanel to make a smooth level surface, and then tile cement, heat mat, tile cement and tile, all in 1 go or

b) Take the bathroom furniture out, and pull up the floor, replacing it with either new boards or cement sheet, then tile cement, heat mat, tile cement and tiles.

The problem with (b) is that it's our only bathroom.... and although the flooring is a precursor to doing the whole lot, it's our plan to do it a bit at a time. With the floor out we'll likely be without a bathroom for a few days.

Sponsored Links
nickliv said:
My present bathroom has self adhesive vinyl tiles over a couple of levelling screeds over floorboards. The house is about 100 yrs old, and we'd like to replace the existing vinyl mank with ceramic tiles and have underfloor heating as well. The floorboards aren't in such good shape, but they're OK, I'm wondering whether to

a) Chip off all the old cement etc, down to bare boards (About 1 - 2 cm in places), fit aquapanel to make a smooth level surface, and then tile cement, heat mat, tile cement and tile, all in 1 go or

b) Take the bathroom furniture out, and pull up the floor, replacing it with either new boards or cement sheet, then tile cement, heat mat, tile cement and tiles.

The problem with (b) is that it's our only bathroom.... and although the flooring is a precursor to doing the whole lot, it's our plan to do it a bit at a time. With the floor out we'll likely be without a bathroom for a few days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back