wooden beam as a mantelpiece

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps,
About to buy a a nice chunky sleeper as a mantelpiece, which will be supported (mostly) by a single column of bricks on either side. But I'm stuffed as to the best way to permanently fix it up - should I screw rods into the wall and "slide" the sleeper on to the columns, or should I be thinking about setting threaded rod into the brick columns and dropping the sleeper down onto that (which I'm not too keen on)

All advice appreciated as I'm out of ideas :confused:

Sponsored Links
Two options spring to mind, drill holes in the tops of the columns and glue in 3/4" dowels, drill the sleeper so that it sits on these. If you wanted to you could screw down through the sleeper into the dowels and fill the holes.
The other is to use gripfill to hold the sleeper to the wall and to the bricks. I reckon both would work fine.

Cheers fella,
Did a strange combination of the 2 at the weekend - fitted 12mm threaded rod deep into the wall, and drilled holes into the sleeper, (filled the holes with gripfill and hammered the rod into the wall), then used a bit of brute foce and ignorance to get the sleeper to slide onto the rods - just need to put a bit more gripfill onto the bottom of the sleeper where it meetes the brick columns then add a bit of mortar as pointing around it and it's done - over 24 hours later and it still hasn't come off the wall so it appears to be ok - happy days!!! :) :) :)

Use frame ties to tie the brick columns onto the chimney breast, then just bed the sleeper straight on top. Job done.

Sponsored Links
TexMex said:
Use frame ties to tie the brick columns onto the chimney breast, .
Did that bit months back when I built the columns, just taken me 3 months to get round to doing the rest of it :oops:

TexMex said:
then just bed the sleeper straight on top. Job done.

Was thinking about that, but wanted to be 110% sure it weas solid, hence the use of rod to secure it to the wall - if the effort needed to get the s*dding thing onto the rods and columns reflects how secure it's going to be then it'll make an ideal starting point for a bomb shelter :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back