Drill for making 24mm auger holes

are the oak sleepers fully seasoned or are they still a liitle green.? if so just plane a couple of edges off the 25 mm dowels (so as the cross sectional area is similar to a 24 mm dowel) They would probably hammer home OK (lube them up a bit first) I know oak can be hard when fully seasoned (and like rock when 100+ year old) but if it has only been felled in the last fey years it will till have a bit of give. also a non round peg in a round hole will get a better grip.
need to experiment first though!

Sponsored Links
Good suggestions as usual, thanks. To be honest I fancied dowel just that it would feel (in my head) nicer to use rather than cutting plugs to hide the top of a rammed steel rod. Plus it’s something I’ve not used before so would be a bit of fun.

The reason I have 24mm is because it came with the 600mm auger pack from toolstation which I bought mainly for the 12mm, used with the m12 rods earlier in the job.

I don’t mind buying another bit, really…

Sponsored Links
Where did you get that idea?
I admit I missed the first post mentioning the studding, or forgot in the interval but I ask again, slightly reworded,
Why not use rod v dowels?
Do you need dowels for a particular reason? Or are you wedded to dowels because that was an idea?

you can also drill a pilot hole from one sleeper to another, and open up the top hole a tad, then use a nut driver to send a screw through two sleepers. Then add a third layer. No need to go through loads of layers with a single dowel/pin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back