I failed miserably at drilling holes in the wall!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, we have been redecorating our bedroom, and along with that have had to touch up and re-skim the old walls to make them good.

We finally had the finished product with the walls all painted, then I remembered I had to attach the TV bracket to the wall!

So, I started with a small drill, drilled a pilot hole for each six holes, out of six, three went in far too easy, so must have hit the mortar under the plaster. I expanded the holes with a larger bit, then fired the fix fixings into the wall that came with the bracket.

I threaded the bolts through the bracket and started to tighten. Now the bolts provided I was sure felt way too tight, I could barely wind them in with a large phillips screw driver, so after a few threads on each I decided to wind them out for inspection and as I did, the screw head bolts started to instead of coming out of the fixings wind them round in the holes chewing everything up! There wasn't a hole lot I could do at this stage, as the bracket was hanging off of the wall and the screws wouldn't come out of the plugs, so I wound them round a bit more and the hole lot came off of the wall.

The result were six now larger holes in the mortar and a mighty mess of the plaster on the entrance to the wall that crumbled away even more when I removed it :(

The problem is the location where those holes are, are the perfect mounting position that we would like.

Any ideas on how to fix the holes?

I had a few ides, a) fire some filler in the problem holes and then cut and push doweling in and screw into the doweling. b) fire plugs back into the wall with grab adhesive then use smaller screws c) just forget about it and sulk.

Any ideas on the best approach? Or what the propper method would be to repair or put a fixing in the holes to make them useable?

It's a mounting for a 24" TV so nothing too big, although it's a cantilever design, so needs to be strong enough to allow movement and extension of the TV away from the wall by up to around two feet, so I guess that leverage will exert more force on the wall.

I am bit fed up at the moment, as it took us over a week to get the walls good, and now I have one wall pretty much ruined that has gaping holes in it, needs fixing and repainting with the TV sat on the floor!

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
Ok so I managed to get three good fixings in the brick, and the three dodgy ones in mortar I driled out larger (but not as large as some doweling I had). Pre tapped the doweling then hammered them into the holes, they went in super tight. I then filled around the edges, dried and painted then screwed the bracket to the wall. Hopefully it will last!

Funny, the actual TV is held on by four small 2mm screws and about 5 threads each after the spacers added, I am more worried about them than the wall now!

Cheers,

I would endure childbirth again rather than have to drill holes in walls to hold something heavy.

Sponsored Links
Wow lol.

Can't say I enjoyed it either, and it's so annoying having perfect walls and then having to ruin one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back