Crumbly Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1930's mid terraced house. Every time I drill a hole in any of my walls I end up with a much larger hole as the plaster and the stuff behind it just crumbles. I usually get round it by drilling the hole, filling the larger hole with no-more nails and then pushing the screw-plug into the no-more nails, and waiting until the next day before screwing to it.

I recently put up safety gates at the top and bottom of the stairs as our child has just started crawling. He managed to pull bottom gate bracket from the wall. Someone at work suggested I drill extra deep (into the brick and use longer screws and 2x screwplugs in each hole), but looking in the hole, there is no brick? It's just pebbles & a crumbly mortar.

I've decided to fill the hole and cover it with a piece of wood to match the bottom post on the other side and screw that into the existing staircase (in the picture) and then the gate onto the new post.

What should I be using to fill the hole? Is there any benefit from getting the house re-plastered if the walls are that crumbly anyway?

View media item 71104 View media item 71105 View media item 71106 View media item 71107 View media item 71108 View media item 71109 View media item 71110

Sponsored Links
Think it needs taking back to brick and then dot and dab the whole lot prior to re-skimming .

That's just it, I'm not sure there's any brick in the wall?

I'll try drilling a bit further tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought… From the pictures I notice hairs in the old plaster. This would suggest lime plaster, possibly sitting on lath, so you may not find any brick. you could patch the hole with filler (not ideal for lime but ok for small patch) and secure the 'gate' to the woodwork.

Probably horse hair plaster, typical for the period. Looking at the hole, it looks too deep to have laths underneath. You wouldn't normally have stud wall on a staircase due to fire risk, I do appreciate that years ago anything went!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back