Cooker through RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should a double oven/Grill unit be wired through the RCD, or on the non protected side of a split consumer unit? There seems to be some split of opinion about this one.

Sponsored Links
I'd say non RCD side because they can cause nuisance tripping, although you don't say how you are going to connect it which may have a bearing on this.

an electric cooker is classed as fixed equipment so does not have to have a RCD protection but,if the cooker isolator incorporates a 13amp socket outlet then it will need RCD protection

Manny said:
but,if the cooker isolator incorporates a 13amp socket outlet then it will need RCD protection

Only if the socket can be reasonably expected to supply equipment used outside of the eqipotential zone, or if the installation is TT...

Sponsored Links
Probably best to fit Cooker Conntrol Units with no socket outlet. Our local area engineer from the NIC objected to this so we don't stock those any more. saves on the hassle

Agree Qed - when you re-wire a house, you want whatever cooker the customer has to work on your new supply. Old cookers can trip RCD's but still be perfectly safe to use (moisture in hobs etc). It would be embarrassing for the cooker to work on the ol' BS3036 you just ripped out but not to work on your new-fangled RCD. I always keep cooker non-RCD side too - If they want a socket adjacent to CCU then I just extend the ring to supply a new point there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back