Split Load CU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 12 way split load consumer unit (six way on either side). Now at the moment I have the rings for downstairs and the kitchen on the RCD protected side and four spares, and on the non RCD side the two lighting circuits, cooker, immersion, upstairs ring etc etc and no spares. My question is which circuits would be better on RCD side and which on the non RCD side as a 6 and 6 split seems an excessive waste of RCD protected MCB's?

Sponsored Links
Do not put lights on the same RCD as the rest of the house.

You must put downstairs sockets on RCD.

Considered desirable for any bathroom equipment to be RCD.

Immersion heaters are hidden away, can cause problems of nuisance tripping.

Similarly, cookers can cause nuisance tripping though otherwise they are something which you do have contact with.

I would put all sockets on RCD.

The whole point of an RCD is it gives better protection from some kinds of fault, so why not use it if youve got it. Nuisance tripping can occur from faults which would not cause you any problem in normal use, but even so they are an early warning of some kind of things going wrong.

The down side is that if one circuit trips it, all the others go off too. One day, most if not all of those separate MCB will be redesigned to each incorporate their own RCD.

damocles rcbos already exist

the reason they are not used is cost. a plit load based system is much cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back