Been asked to clean f&e tank and radiators out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have been asked to put fernox? in heating system and clean it out
As I am still at colllege studying I have never done this before,
Have I got it correct that you enter attic take off the lid on the f&e tank and put fernox in then drain bottom radiator off to pull it through the system...
If its not right please correct me

Sponsored Links
Visit the Fernox site and see what they have to say. I'm afraid you've got a lot to learn at the moment.

Ive read it and i dont seem to see much differnce how would you propose what to do different

Sponsored Links
young plum, the basic answer to your question is "yes" - you need to extract some water before the cleaner will achieve anything.

If you're cleaning the system then I suggest that now is the time to find out whether or not the cold feed is blocked (if it is then search on this forum for what to do).

Bearing in mind the above point, my personal preference is to isolate the F&E, drain some water out at a drain cock, see if the header tank empties, then add the Fernox (after closing the drain cock) and turn the water on again.

Hi oilman :)
Was that one for me? I ask only because I suspect yp may not get it...

Young plum - look at the Kamco site and you'll start to see what's needed. A dirty system takes a lot of kit, special chemicals, a day's work and a full understanding of the system. BG allegedly charge £450 or so.

Who the h@ll is asking you to do this when you don't even have a basic knowledge of the system ? Tell them NO.

why doesn't the person asking you to do the flush do it? because they haven't got a clue, neither have you ,don't do it ! theres more to this flushing then meets the eye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back