Pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can give me some advice. Just bought a flat and moved in. I believe the GCH is about 5 years old.
When I moved in I thought the pressure was a bit low but being on the 4th floor, I didn\\\'t pay much attention.

I had a plumber in for a washing machine leak and while he was in, he turned the stopcock on full and topped up the heating system. Immediately the pressure improved greatly and the shower no longer fluctuated hot and cold.
That was 4 days ago and now the pressure has returned as it was before in the taps and shower. I can\\\'t see much difference on the boiler guage. Any ideas??

The boiler is an Ariston EuroCombi. I don\\\'t knmow much about plumbing but I\\\'ve checked the radiators and they seem fine, no drips or leaks that I can see. I don\\\'t even know where all the pipes would run in the flat.

Thanks for any help.

Lainey

Sponsored Links
Ask other flat dwellers. Being on the 4th floor is often a problem - depends how it's plumbed and where you are, and maybe who else is sharing your water supply.

LaineyPB said:
I can\\\'t see much difference on the boiler guage. Any ideas??
What is the difference that you can see?

Well, the pressure was sitting just above one on the guage and now it's maybe a fraction lower than before but not yet at one.. So there is possibly a small change but I'm not sure if has moved or if I'm looking for it to have moved.

My neighbours don't have any problems, I've asked.
It seems that after the plumber was in, it was much improved but now has reverted.

Sponsored Links
The pressure in the sealed system is adequate, although you should ensure that it isn't below 1.0 when stone cold.

However, this pressure (as long as it's above the minimum) has no effect on what comes out of your taps - this is dictated by the water company supply and by local demand. In flats, the local demand is very often a significant effect.

It would be interesting to know what the exact range of pressures is. You might consider getting your plumber to fit a pressure gauge so that you can find out - if it varies outside the parameters for your supply then I believe (but don't know, so don't quote me) that you'd have reasonable grounds for taking it up with your water supplier.

Thanks for the replies

I don't think it's below any official standard it just caused fluctuations in shower temp sometimes. It just seems odd that as a result of topping up system, the pressure improved instantly, far beyond any usual fluctuation. And now, that it may be slightly lower the pressure has dropped off again. The comparison for demand should be reasonable day to day at a similar time of morning, I would have thought.

I've just let a little more water in to the system and the pressure appears to have improved again. I'm quite confused.

Have you considered that you might just have a leak? If you are on the 4th floor you might ask the 3rd floor if they can see signs of a leak from above.
I am experiencing a similar problem- I have added Firnox leak sealant to my system ( this is akin to radweld for cars). My pressure is still dropping but at a far far slower rate. I waiting to see if the problem goes altogether
before facing up to the prospect of rolling back carpet and pulling up the floorboards!

I spoke to the neighbour a couple od days ago and they said they hadn't noticed anyting. Am I right in thinking a leaking or burst pipe would lose a lot of water not just a little?

I think the minimum pressure sits just about one on the boiler so now that it is just above that it's much better.

The problem is it took about 4 days and the pressure fell last time but only by a tiny fraction on the guage, maybe 1.1 to 1.0.
If there is a leak where should I look first? Radiators? Anywhere else?

I'm hoping it's not an underfloor pipe as I've laid a new oak floor a couple of months ago over the chipboard. I checked with the floor guy about his nails but he says they only just reach the underside of the chipboard. (I don't think he's lying, I know he's experienced and insured). Also, if a nail had damaged a pipe would it not show on my floor too?

Is there any way of telling? I'm due to have a CH service in December, could such a small pressure loss be in the boiler itself?

Sorry so many questions, I just don't know much about CH.

The leak could be v. small. It could open up as the pipe gets hotter.
Pressure loss could be v. slow.
The problem with boiler readings is that they will vary with the temperature of the hot water. So its hard to check.
All that said- if your problems have arisen only since you put down a new floor I would be very suspicious. In the first instance why not try adding Firnox ch sealant to see if that fixes the problem. Its a lot easier than lifting uo a new floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back