Single Loop Pipe system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a plumber round for a quote for a bathroom job and while here asked about some problems with rads (not hot at one end of bungalow).
He said it would be difficult for him to work out if this place is on a loop pipe system or flow and return so didn't want to get involved.
I understand the principle of loop pipe but is there an easy way of working out what I've got short of hacking up concrete floors to see if there are 2 pipes everywhere?
Built/installed around 1980.
Thankyou

Sponsored Links
In a single pipe system the water cools as it goes from rad to rad. So if you turn the pump speed down the effect should be more obvious, turn it up and you might get all your rads hot!. Beggar all to do with a bathroom refit though!

Sponsored Links
Jonny F said:
I know it's nothing to do with the bathroom work.
That was just setting the contect for the plumber being here in the first place.
Have looked around the net and the only diagram I found implies water enters at the bottom of the rad and leaves at the top, is this true in any way?
http://www.diydata.com/planning/central_heating/pipework.htm[/QUOTE]

In a single pipe system, it's usually connected with one pipe at the bottom, one at the top. But not always, so you can't rely on it.

But, to be honest, if your plumber can't be arsed to work out what pipe system your house is on, then you should find a better plumber.

If the system was installed in 1980, it's very unlikely to be single pipe. Such systems date back to the 60s and earlier I think.

In any case, radiator connections could all be to the bottom of the rad, so this doesn't tell you anything. I think your "plumber" is just a bathroom fitter and doesn't understand heating systems.

The diagram of single pipe on the diydata.com link is wrong. Ignore it.

One reasonable way to tell if it's a single pipe system (particularly if both pipes are at the bottom) is by how long it takes to warm up when you fire the heating. Bloody ages = single pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back