Boiler problems????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't really say what kind of boiler I've got - I know I should have checked before I left home but I didn't! All I know is that it's 5 years old, serviced annually & it's some kind of Maxol boiler. Sorry not terribly helpful I know!!

Anyway all was fine until 3 weeks ago - right after the last service!

Now there's an intermittant fault with the CH that's getting worse. Heating is on a timer - sometimes the pilot lights as usual, heating comes on for a while & then flicks over to reset. Heating goes off, house is freezing. I manually press reset & it works again for a while only for the same thing to happen again & again & again...

Or it doesn't even get a chance to ignite & goes straight to reset - that's usually when I wake up as it's so cold!

Hot water seems fine it's just the crazy heating. The boiler's also making really strange noises - usually when it's trying to ignite - like it's straining really hard (gee aren't I technical!!!)

I've got cover & 2 people have already been called out but they've literally both said that until it breaks permanently it's too difficult for them to guess what it could be. They didn't even listen to what I was telling them - all they said was that it was igniting while they were there so it must be fine!

As I said it's getting worse & someone's supposed to be coming again tomorrow & I really want it sorted this time so any ideas?? Can anyone give me some handy hints.

Sorry for the long windedness of the post - any comments/help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
dunkst wrote:

I've got cover & 2 people have already been called

Who is the cover with?
Tell them it is unacceptable and you want it sorting when they come back.
Its what you pay your money for.

Sorry but can't help much with the info provided.
Please provide as a minimum the boiler make and model.

Cover is with the 'wonderful' British Gas who have been remarkably unhelpful.

Believe me I have already told them in no uncertain terms that it's unacceptable - this time the poor man is not leaving my house until it's fixed!!

I'll go home & get proper details on the make/model - from what I've read I'll get much more sense from you guys here then I've had so far!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back