3 way valve y-plan problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problem getting my baxi solo 3 pfl range boiler to run. I've managed to get it to fire up if it's been left a while but it only stays on for about 5-10secs! I'm starting to think that it could be caused by the 3 way valve because when i select HW it moves into position and the constantly clicks as if it is not reaching the end of it's travel (mabee jammed?). Is this a normal sound and if not, what is the solution?? Could there be another cause?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the valve motor is knackered.An easy diy job to renew the synchron motor within valve head.Available from Partscenter.

If the head is clicking I would expect it's the head which is finished and not tust the motor. Depens which one it is - some of the motors cannot be changed. Supsicious here, you might have a motor-open motor-closed valve instead of the most common one, which woul just spring back to the HW position.

Look for some makes and type numbers.

Ive replaced the syncro motor but it still clicks! Do I need to replace the whole thing?

Sponsored Links
Has the valve ever worked properly. I am concerned that you say it is a 3 port valve but "moves into position for HW", most 3 ports spring return to HW duty, therefore, unless you have CH duty as well, it should not be trying to drive when heating the HW only.

Has it ever worked? What's the history?
What's the make?
If you switch only the HW on does the pipe to the HW cylinder get hot, not the one to the CH?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back