Two Lights Two Red/Reds @ the switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I'm replacing a 1xdimmer and 2xbulb lights with 1xdimmer and 2xhalogen arrays. I got as far as replaing the bulb lights and every thing works ok. I went to replace the dimmer and lost track of what connected to where. Incoming to the dimmer switch are two Red/Reds (earthed). I can only get one light to light up. Can you help?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
How many wires all together at the dimmer and what colours. What are the connections on the back of the dimmer.

ban-all-sheds said:
And how have you connected them?

If I connect one of the pairs (only) to L1 - C the one light (but not the other) works perfectly on the Dimmer. If I swap cables, nothing works.

flasheart said:
If I connect one of the pairs (only) to L1 - C the one light (but not the other) works perfectly on the Dimmer. If I swap cables, nothing works.

You only have one permanent live. Use your multimeter to identify it.

You also need to look at the wiring of the light that doesn't work, because you've got a cable going there with only one core in use - what's been done with the unused one? Any trial and error to get the light going might be a bad idea if you don't know where it goes..

ban-all-sheds said:
flasheart said:

You only have one permanent live. Use your multimeter to identify it.

You also need to look at the wiring of the light that doesn't work, because you've got a cable going there with only one core in use - what's been done with the unused one? Any trial and error to get the light going might be a bad idea if you don't know where it goes..

I've proven TWO permanent lives - but still no joy -could I have blown the halogen unit.

Ah - my mistake -
when you said:
I thought that meant you had only one cable with permanent live.

So two cables, A & B.

Both cables have a permanent live.

If cable A is connected to C & L1, light A works, and light B does not.

If cable B is connected to C & L1, no lights work.

Have you double checked the connections at light B? What happens at B if you temporarily connect the local permanent live to it?

ban-all-sheds said:
Ah - my mistake -
when you said:
I thought that meant you had only one cable with permanent live.

So two cables, A & B.

Both cables have a permanent live.

If cable A is connected to C & L1, light A works, and light B does not.

If cable B is connected to C & L1, no lights work.

Have you double checked the connections at light B? What happens at B if you temporarily connect the local permanent live to it?

Thats my next step - I'll try connecting a simple bulb back onto light B and see what happens. If not I'll do as you say - thanks. I take it this form of wiring is unusual?

OK - so heres some progress.

On Light B there's a RED/RED (one to loop and one to Live) and RED/BLACK (RED to loop and Black to N) - both earthed.

If I connect a standad bulb between L and N no joy. If I connect between L and E or L and Loop we have light.

Do you think the N return through Light A may be at fault?

flasheart said:
OK - so heres some progress.

On Light B there's a RED/RED (one to loop and one to Live) and RED/BLACK (RED to loop and Black to N) - both earthed.

If I connect a standad bulb between L and N no joy. If I connect between L and E or L and Loop we have light.

Do you think the N return through Light A may be at fault?

PROBLEM SOLVED - LOOSE NEUTRAL AT LAMP A!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back