noisy pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a glowworm combi boiler under the stairs in a cupboard and when the heating is on u can hear a constant hum hum hum hum when standing on the stairs and can hear it faintly from boiler plummer came and had a look other daysaid it were coming from pump but everything working ok heating and water and thathe checked rads upsatirs for air and they ok so he said it could just b that its either weather cause its cold or just got noisy for some reason

Sponsored Links
It would help if you could write your post in sentences, with full stops and capital letters. Otherwise I doubt whether anyone will bother to try to decipher it.

Have a heart, Chris. He can't hear what he's writing.

Sponsored Links
ill start again . right, ive got a glowworm combi boiler which is under the stairs, and for the past few weeks u can hear a hum hum hum hum noise when stood on the stairs.
When u listen to the boiler u can hear it faintly.
plummer came the other day checked rads upstairs for air and they fine.
says its pump, everything working fine heating and water and that.
so he said it could have just started to be noisey or cud be the cold weather.
just wanted to no if this sounded right.

No it doesn't sound right. If pump is humming it usually means that it's stuck or pumping against an airlock or some other blockage., but you said it's all working OK, so I don't know the answer.

What does "mle" mean?

sorry i missed the a male i meant to put. if it is one of the two things u said it wont hurt anything will it

I know what mle means.

If your plumber doesn't think there's a fault, maybe it's just old? Have a look and see if it's got a tiny adjusting knob (speeds 1, 2, 3) and turn it to run slower. This might help with the noise, though at lower speed it may not have enough power to run all the radiators adequately. You can always turn it back up later.

Are any of the pipes vibrating near the pump? If you grab them with a gloved hand does it muffle the noise?

But your local plumber had the advantage of seeing the prob, so he's got quite a fair chance of being right. It's not unusual to hear the CH running if you listen for it. Like a fridge.

u can only hear the noise when u stood on the stairs because boiler is under the stairs in a cupboard had it in for 6years no pipes near pump

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back