Thermostat issue since service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the annual service carried out by British Gas today - conventional boiler system.

We use the thermostat in the hall to raise the heat in the rads when the missus needs more heat.
In this weather if I turn it to 11oC it kicks the rads in throughout the day 'to take the nip out of the air' coz she hates to come home to a cold house!!

When we are in after work it sits about 14oC and the house is way too warm for me most nights [the front room is like an oven].

After todays service at 10am I set the thermostat to it's usual position around the 11 mark, went to work and came home to a cold house - as if the rads hadn't kicked in at any time all day.
The thermostat has been sitting at the 15oC mark since half six [which would normally have had the house like an absolute furnace] - but the house is just 'warm'.

Any thoughts as to why the thermostat has become erratic all of a sudden?

Regards

Homer

Sponsored Links
Why on earth would a service have affected a thermostat? What stat is it? A BG one? Does it have a receiver?

Sponsored Links
The thing that strikes me strange is your thermostat settings! Even 15 degrees is too cold for me (I admit to being old!). So if your house is normally a furnace by then either you or the thermostat are most unusual.

If the engineer spotted that your dial (assuming it is one like that!) was fitted incorrectly perhaps he put it right as a favour!

Try 18 degrees to keep the chill off and more to get toasty!

To quote a BBC website:

Comfort cannot be defined absolutely, but the World Health Organization's standard for warmth says 18C (64F) is suitable for healthy people who are appropriately dressed. For those with respiratory problems or allergies, they recommend a minimum of 16C (60.8C); and for the sick, disabled, very old or very young, a minimum of 20C (68F).

The heating has been on 24 hrs since November.
Setting the thermostat to about 11 overnight/during the day and the rads stay lukewarm and keep the house mild.

Set to about 14 when we're around and she is comfortable and I'm in a t-shirt.

At 15 the house should be unbearable and even she would turn the thermostat down.
At that level, any washing we put on a clothes horse would be dry before we went to bed - it is still damp now and the house is not the furnace it should.

We set the thermostat like clockwork and know that a setting of 15 on the dial should have us passing out with heat exhaustion :D
Something has been altered.

Homer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back