Noisy boiler

JM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of days ago my boiler started making unusual noises. A few seconds after it fires up it makes a noise like a jet plane taking off. This lasts for 5 or 6 seconds and then it operates normally until next time it fires up. The boiler is a Myson Apollo.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Sponsored Links
Try doing a search for "noisy boiler", there's plenty of earlier enquiries for similar things.

I searched through the forums before posting but didn't find a solution unfortunately.

I am not a plumber or heating engineer but...

I have exactly the same boiler in my flat and had a problem that sounded remarakably like yours; it turned out to be the fan motor bearings knackered. Took an hour to do and didn't cost much so don't let those plumbers (or heating engineers as many of them prefer :LOL: ;) ) rip you off!

Sponsored Links
spark said:
I am not a plumber or heating engineer but...

I have exactly the same boiler in my flat and had a problem that sounded remarakably like yours; it turned out to be the fan motor bearings knackered. Took an hour to do and didn't cost much so don't let those plumbers (or heating engineers as many of them prefer :LOL: ;) ) rip you off!

I Have the same boiler with the same problem. The merchants are quoting £139 for a new replacement fan unit.(although I have found a recon unit for £40 online) ..how did you repair it and did you manage to do it for less than this. Reply would be welcome

If you are disturbing your case seal on the boiler you are well into corgi territory.

Apollo's are particularly DANGEROUS. They have killed 40 people. Don't go in there unless you have the equipment and knowledge to test them.

If you are disturbing your case seal on the boiler you are well into corgi territory.

But you don't have to be registered to work on your own boiler. Are you saying the case seal has a direct connection with the gas supply, or does it influence the combustion conditions?

No that's true oilman but you do need to be able to prove competence still and having to ask how to do it would tend to imply the level of competence to do the task in hand is not sufficient.
The case seal on a room sealed boiler is the only thing preventing products of combustion from entering the room space so if mixed with another fault causing incomplete combustion you have a problem!
I'm not telling anybody what they should do just pointing out the risks :)

I understand the issue of case seal etc and am competant to ensure seal is OK when reassembled.... However my question relates to finding out if it is possible to recondition the fan unit itself without paying the extortionate OEM spare price ( the component cost of the motor and fan cage is about £15, so why £139)....answers or suggestions!

It can be done, but it isn't a diy job. How could you test it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back