Electric oven & hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i connect a 6.2kw hob and a 5.5kw double oven on the same electrical ring main circuit if my trip switch is 32amp. If this is not possible could i run 2 cables from the fuse box, 1 to each appliance from the same trip switch. :)

Sponsored Links
you cannot connect those appliances to a ring main.

However, you can connect them to the same radial circuit as each other. You dont mention cable sizes - this is important. 10mm² cable would be advisable here, with a 40A MCB at the consumer unit. They can run off the same cooker control switch, provided they are both within 2m of it.

er... i hope you dont mean take cables back to CU and get power from 32A ring main MCB....

Thanks Crafty, My consumer unit is a Quickline, square D. The trips are
C32 Cooker; C32 Kitchen Sockets; C32 Sockets: B6 Lights; B6 Central heating. The main switch is rated to 100A. Do I now have to change the consumer unit. The switch for kitchen sockets is running 3 Doubles and 2 singles. The appliances that I use are freezer, fridge, microwave, washer, cordless phone and an occasional bread maker. Could I connect the oven to this socket circuit via a spur. :cry:

Sponsored Links
no, you cannot connect those appliances in any way to the same circuit breaker as a ring main. You MUST fit another MCB and use that.

Are there any spare ways in the consumer unit? If so, use one of these and fit a 40A one there.

If not, get an electrician to come ane quote on fitting a second consumer unit.

Yes there is a spare slot, I think I'll buy a new 40amp rated switch and run a 10mm rated cable to a central cooker switch which in turn will feed 2 appliance outlet points (yes there within 2m of each other). Thank for all your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back