Outdoor Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is probably going to be a question that has been answered thousands of times before. But I was wondering if anyone has a bit of time if they could write a dummy guide to the following problem because I only have experience with basic electrics. I need to get electrics from inside the house, through the wall, under the lawn for about 15 meters and into the garage. Inside the garage I want about five 3-pin sockets, four internal light sockets with one main switch and three 3-pin sockets on the external wall of the garage. Any help would be appreciated. I have also sent off for a quote from a local company. But I am a little low on cash at the moment and would rather do it myself.

Thanks for all your help, it is much appreciated.

Graham

Sponsored Links
Do you have an rcd in your main consumer unit? you must have one as the cable is going outside and once in your garage and "could be used to supply equipment used outdoors)

MY advise would be to fit a 20amp mcb, use 2.5mm swa cable run this under your lawn .(you can also run regular 2.5mm t&e but it must be encased in impact reistant conduit solvent welded together

once in the garage you could fit a garage consumer unit kit (stocked by screwfix) or you could run it to your sockets and someware along the run have a fused spur which would provide your lighting circuit.(you can only do the latter if you have rcd protection from in the house

The sockets inside should be wired with 2.5mm t&e use a radial circuit.. run from one socket to the next, to the next and so on till you come to your last socket.

the outdoor sockets must havea minimum of ip55 water protection

The light setup is totaly your choice aslong as they arnt exposed to weather(if you have an outside light you must have ip55 protection again)
and one more thing: im assuming that your cable run is relitivly short, if it is a long run use 4mm2 cable to compensate for voltage drop

B.R

:idea: Never done it, but from what I've read, preparing SWA and fitting glands to it is a new skill to learn - maybe you should buy a bit more than you need so you can have a few practice goes?

Sponsored Links
Thnx for all the help, it is much appreciated. I wouldn't of had a clue where to start otherwise. You will probably be hearing from me again somewhere in the near future for some more help :confused: Lets just hope I manage to do this without blowing somthing up lol :)

Sorry bout this, I'm back for help already :eek: :confused: :eek: If I am using a consumer unit in the garage does this get rid of the need for an RCD in my main consumer unit. And also, does the connection that I am running outside need to be connected to the main consumer unit. Or can I simply spur it off of an existing socket on the internal wall of the house and then run it through a hole in the masonry. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for all the help.

Graham

I would advise that it comes off its own circuit and it would be better off coming off the rcd before it goes out but aslong as the sockets in your garage are downstream of it...

if you just want one socket and a pendet in a shed can you spur off a socket. i ask this because i have no free ways in the fuse board but the installation is protected by an rcd.

so long as you use 2.5mm cable from the socket to spur, put a 3 amp fuse in the spur and use 1mm cable after the spur and the can nor be anything else taken off the socket or spur then yes

could i add a florescent light in there as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back