New Solid Fuel CH Layout

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I have recently bought a bungalow in Croatia and am in the process of installing a solid fuel central heating system with 7 radiators and an indirect cylinder. I had to bring the cylinder from UK as they don't sell them in Croatia. I particularly wanted gravity hot water as a safeguard in the event of electricity supply or pump failure.

Idealy I would like both central heating and hot water running continuously, with no motorised valves. Is this possible? I was thinking in terms of teeing off to the cylinder before the pump. If I do need to switch between central heating and hot water, is there a way that defaults to hot water and only diverts to CH when energised? I'm thinking in terms of something like a big bore washing machine solenoid valve.

My other question concerns the 2 pipe circuit for the radiators. The boiler is an AGA type cooking stove in the kitchen, which is in the left hand rear corner of the house. Going clockwise from the boiler, the first 3 rads are easy enough to plumb but then there is one in the hall, then they have to go over the entrance door to get to the final 3 rads. My problem is that the hall rad is some distance from the main flow & return pipes. If I just tee off as normal and run perhaps 2 metres of extra pipe to each end of the hall rad, will it still work OK?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back