Lights and Socket (again!).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - very informative site by the way.
Couple of small queries I'm hoping you can hint at possible cures for me!

First off - this wasn't a query till I read a previous post - the post mentioned a maxiumum of 12 x 100 watt light set up on one lighting circuit (radial I now gather?!). Ive gone a little low voltage halogen spots mad of late; latest 'instalment' was 5 spots (on dimmer - they all are in fact, I'm quite obsessed with the right type of lighting...) - would these 5 be counted within the alotted 12? I was about the install another 5 set in my living room (currently has a 4 way halogen 'branch' in place so not much difference).
I'm hoping a suggestion of another light circuit is prescribed...that's pretty much out of my technical 'jusrisdiction'.
Thanks....

...secondly...
Need second double socket in living room as it only has the one (relatively old house with pre war electrical requirements - all rooms have one socket only...and some of those are single sockets!!).
I don't believe this to be a spur from another socket...but how can I be sure - take apart the existing one and check for more than one/two cables?
Thanks - sorry for the long (double) post!

Sponsored Links
Northbeach said:
Hi all - very informative site by the way.
Couple of small queries I'm hoping you can hint at possible cures for me!

First off - this wasn't a query till I read a previous post - the post mentioned a maxiumum of 12 x 100 watt light set up on one lighting circuit (radial I now gather?!). Ive gone a little low voltage halogen spots mad of late; latest 'instalment' was 5 spots (on dimmer - they all are in fact, I'm quite obsessed with the right type of lighting...) - would these 5 be counted within the alotted 12? I was about the install another 5 set in my living room (currently has a 4 way halogen 'branch' in place so not much difference).
I'm hoping a suggestion of another light circuit is prescribed...that's pretty much out of my technical 'jusrisdiction'.
Thanks....

...secondly...
Need second double socket in living room as it only has the one (relatively old house with pre war electrical requirements - all rooms have one socket only...and some of those are single sockets!!).
I don't believe this to be a spur from another socket...but how can I be sure - take apart the existing one and check for more than one/two cables?
Thanks - sorry for the long (double) post!

1: depends on MCB/fuse rating. is 6A, you have a max of 1380W to play with. if your gonna go over this, you could split the radial into 2 radials

2: if there is only 1 cable, chances are its a spur, but given that there is only 1 per room i would imagine its on the ring. if 2, then you can pretty much say it is a ring, altho with a low ohm meter you can test resistance and they should be the same at every socket. otherwise the readings will chance slightly for sockets on a spur

also, due to the age, it might be worth gettin a sparky to do a PIR just incase there is some underlying fault you dont know about

Thanks Andy.

1. depends on MCB/fuse rating. is 6A, you have a max of 1380W to play with. if your gonna go over this, you could split the radial into 2 radials

Hmm, wouldn't know where the heck to start looking at this!! I've fitted a few dimmers and insert halogens in ceilings but little else - rank amateur here I'm afraid.

2: if there is only 1 cable, chances are its a spur, but given that there is only 1 per room i would imagine its on the ring. if 2, then you can pretty much say it is a ring, altho with a low ohm meter you can test resistance and they should be the same at every socket. otherwise the readings will chance slightly for sockets on a spur

But you would presume I'd be ok to add another double as a spur to this?

also, due to the age, it might be worth gettin a sparky to do a PIR just incase there is some underlying fault you dont know about

Yeah we're due a sparky any day now (they're not short of work eh?).
I really wanted to just get this extra double socket sorted in the meantime though (out of necessity).
I have one socket in a spare room...the amount of extension plugs coming off this (feeds a small studio) will have you spitting out your supper.
Grateful for your help. I guess it would be a good idea to look out for a course/night school on electrical work - it can seriously bite you should you make any bold assumptions/basic errors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back