Two-gang switch, One live feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question (I hope).
I need to tidy up the wiring to an outside light, fitting an internal switch.

I could replace an existing switch with a 2-gang switch and connect the two L1 terminals so as to provide power the outside light. The circuit is RCD protected.

Are there any reasons why this may not be permissible? I can't think of any.

Sponsored Links
Correct me if I am wrong.
So you have an existing single switch that operates another light?
You have now fitted a new outside light?
And you want to use the existing single switch position and fit a double gang switch?
Once fitted, you intend to link the permanent live across both gangs, so the outside light has a switch live?

Have you got any neutrals and earths at outside light or switch?

Permissible yes but it depends on how it is wired at the moment.

As I presume you will have to run a cable from the switch to the light, you may as well connect it in the normal way.
I.e. live from light to switch and switched live back to light.

Preferably use a double pole switch ( Live and Neutral switched ) to enable the lamp to be fully isolated should it become damaged or water logged.

Sponsored Links
He wants a 2-gang switch - can you get DP ones, apart from using a grid system?

Are there any reasons why this may not be permissible? I can't think of any.
I can think of one - if the outside light isn't on the same circuit as the one on the existing switch.

As EFLI says, you've got to run a cable anyway, so why not a normal live/switched live one?

And there is nothing to say the OP is not considering using a grid switch set up. But they will need a neutral at the switch for this to be possible anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back