Showerforce 8.5kw electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a Showerforce 8.5kw electric shower installed without problem for the last four years. However, recently the water flow began cutting completely after a few seconds and so is now impossible to use.

Before I spend a couple of weeks wages on calling a plumber, is there anything I can feasibly do myself ie, check for loose connections, change a fuse etc.

I have already tried replacing the external isolator pull switch box - but this has not eliminated the problem.

Power IS coming through to the shower unit itself, but for some reason no water is.

Thank you for your assistance

Sponsored Links
Does the shower power up, as though water should be flowing? What made you change the isolator switch?? :eek:

crafty1289 said:
Does the shower power up, as though water should be flowing? What made you change the isolator switch?? :eek:

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes the shower does power up. In fact water often does come through in a short burst, lasting just a few seconds (approx 10) - then stops completely. The power lights stay on the shower even when the water stops, so it does seem as though power is continuing to be supplied.

I (or rather my uncle) replaced the isolator switch pull box as he had experience a similar problem with his shower and it had solved it.

Any more thoughts would be helpful.

Does your shower have a cold only setting where it doesn't switch on the heating elements?, does it work properly when set to this?

(my line of thinking is there could be a high impedance fault in series with the shower, with the result that it works normally until the heater elements cut in, at which point the voltage drops by a level significant enough to close the electric valve, but not low enough that the neon indicator lamp goes out)

Sponsored Links
sounds like the solenoid valve isnt switching correctly on the incoming water supply,usually near the water connection

Adam_151 said:
Does your shower have a cold only setting where it doesn't switch on the heating elements?, does it work properly when set to this?

Thank you for your reply.

My shower has a dial (1-13) whereby if you select '1' then the water is stone cold. I think this is probably what you mean by a cold setting?

I have tried setting it to number 1 - but the lack of water still remains.

ch427 said:
sounds like the solenoid valve isnt switching correctly on the incoming water supply,usually near the water connection

Sorry to sound stupid - but could you tell me how I identify the solenoid valve. Do you think it is possible for a non-diy expert like myself to check and / or replace this.

Thanks again for your assistance.

bagpuss said:
Adam_151 said:

My shower has a dial (1-13) whereby if you select '1' then the water is stone cold. I think this is probably what you mean by a cold setting?

No, that varies the water pressure to control the temperature, is there a second dial on it, with things like, off, cold, normal, ecco mode ?

(maybe I'm just too used to tritton showers :confused: )

bagpuss, it this the only control on the shower? there should be a "proper" cold setting, whereby the electric elements dont come on at all - a blue button? or another dial with 3 settings, one of them blue?

solenoid valve is near the water inlet - this turns the water flow on and off.

Adam_151 said:
bagpuss said:
Adam_151 said:

No, that varies the water pressure to control the temperature, is there a second dial on it, with things like, off, cold, normal, ecco mode ?

(maybe I'm just too used to tritton showers :confused: )

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

No I don't think it does, but to be sure I'll explain what is on the shower in full.

It has 2 x dials.

The first is 'POWER' with settings for '0', 'low', 'med' and 'high'

I have tried it on all of these settings but with the same (lack of) response ie no water (or just a few seconds of flow).

The second is labelled 'Temperature' with settings 1-13.

It hasno other dials.

crafty1289 said:
bagpuss, it this the only control on the shower? there should be a "proper" cold setting, whereby the electric elements dont come on at all - a blue button? or another dial with 3 settings, one of them blue?

solenoid valve is near the water inlet - this turns the water flow on and off.

Please see most recent reply to adam_151. Thanks

its a job for a spark,you need to check if the switch that controls it is ok,which is usually a small microswitch or the main power on button

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back