DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

TESCO iQon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoDon

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience with the TESCO iQon PC's ?

I bought a new PC from TESCO, because the one I had (years old ) started playing up crashing etc and finally my monitor packed in!!

Anyway, I had/have a problem installing 'Norton Internet Security' last night after registering the software, I was prompted to re-boot, on start-up the PC crashed/froze, which I believe may have been due to 'I think' iQon having its own virus/checker/internet security, running in the backgroud. After several attempts at resarting to no avail, resorted to my 'bad habit' of re-installing an old CD of windows (xp), icon_rolleyes.gif the PC had all the software factory installed, therefore no CD's are supplied.
The PC starts now but it is very slow (screen scrolling etc).
In hindsight I should have read the supplied booklet but.... I have now discovered the PC has 'System Recovery' specifically for my problem I had in the first place..., icon_redface.gif which will quick-format the hard drive and default to the factory-shipped default image.

Have I destroyed this capability now? since i have installed the XP OS, or do you think I have a chance of recovering the system to default?

The reason I ask is that i am at work now, and if it doesn't work, sould I go and do a full format tonight and start all over? and hopefully download drivers, graphics, sound etc from the net?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Igorian

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote

The restore pack is (often) in a hidden partition on the disk. However, you will have (probably) removed the software responsible for recovering it icon_confused.gif Alternatively, there is a program which creates a set of recovery disks, but as you have now formatted, the same applies. icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif

What does the book say about recovery?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a system without disks, but hey, that's what makes them look like they are cheap. icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif .

I doubt you will have too many problems locating drivers, but if the tesco support site doesn't have them, you will need to open the case and look for motherboard model numbers etc. If you need specific help with this, post again.
 Alert Moderators
BoDon

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Igorian wrote:

What does the book say about recovery?

Thanks for your reply.
The book says:

a) As you switch your PC on, tap the F10 button repeatedly. This will launch the iQon System Recovery.
b) A screen will be displayed with 3 options.
c) Select "System Recovery-Quick Format" option. This will format the Hard Drive, and re-install Windows XP back to the factory-shipped default image.
d) The recovery will take about 10mins, once recovery is completed you will be prompted to re-start your computer.

I shall try this tonight, and see what happens.. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks again.
 Alert Moderators
Igorian

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote

You might be lucky. Compaq use a similar system and the software is (again) in a special partition at the front of the drive, which get's examined before the main boot sector is loaded. If you haven't managed to delete this or the other hidden partition, containing the actual image, you should be ok.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes for future reference.
 Alert Moderators
BoDon

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote

Igorian wrote:
The restore pack is (often) in a hidden partition on the disk. However, you will have (probably) removed the software responsible for recovering it icon_confused.gif Alternatively, there is a program which creates a set of recovery disks, but as you have now formatted, the same applies. icon_confused.gif icon_confused.gif

The System Recovery was a non-starter icon_sad.gif It looks like, what you said, I've formatted almost everything icon_redface.gif

However I've managed to download most of the drivers required and the PC seems to be 'flying' at the moment, scroll-rate etc.., even got sound icon_razz.gif icon_surprised.gif

Seriously need to 'back-up' my files and create some recovery discs now... icon_redface.gif

Cheers...away for a cuppa now..
Thanks for your assistance, icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
Gary_M

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

Just a bit of advice in case you have future problems. If adding some software has caused your computer to crash (such as Norton in your case), try starting the computer in safe mode, and you should be able to uninstall the software from there, rather than re-formatting.

To get into safe mode - tap F8 repetitively as your computer boots up and you will be presented with a menu that will give you this option to select. icon_razz.gif
 Alert Moderators
BoDon

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Cheers, GaryM... thanks for the advice, that will save me alot of time in the future.. icon_smile.gif
 Alert Moderators
salem2000

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote

Hi

Does the PC have a CD Writer? if so, when the PC is installed, get a copy of Norton Ghost or other software, and burn the H/Drive Image to CD. I did this a while ago and when i needed to re-install it only took 12mins to replace all info and programs that were on the H/Drive when I burnt the CD Copy.

Salem.
 Alert Moderators
pcworker

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote

BoDon wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with the TESCO iQon PC's ?

I bought a new PC from TESCO, because the one I had (years old ) started playing up crashing etc and finally my monitor packed in!!

Anyway, I had/have a problem installing 'Norton Internet Security' last night after registering the software, I was prompted to re-boot, on start-up the PC crashed/froze, which I believe may have been due to 'I think' iQon having its own virus/checker/internet security, running in the backgroud. After several attempts at resarting to no avail, resorted to my 'bad habit' of re-installing an old CD of windows (xp), icon_rolleyes.gif the PC had all the software factory installed, therefore no CD's are supplied.
The PC starts now but it is very slow (screen scrolling etc).
In hindsight I should have read the supplied booklet but.... I have now discovered the PC has 'System Recovery' specifically for my problem I had in the first place..., icon_redface.gif which will quick-format the hard drive and default to the factory-shipped default image.

Have I destroyed this capability now? since i have installed the XP OS, or do you think I have a chance of recovering the system to default?

The reason I ask is that i am at work now, and if it doesn't work, sould I go and do a full format tonight and start all over? and hopefully download drivers, graphics, sound etc from the net?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

The arnser to your problems with drivers

Go to the following link download drivers for LM7WE thes should work the have worked for my iqon LM7WM modle.

http://www.everex.com/support/lm7we/lm7we-downloads/lm7we-downloads.htm

From pcworker
 Alert Moderators
tumbleweed44

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Just repaired one last Friday. PC switched off no discs in drive. Now switch on and press F10 a few times hopefully the partition with recovery system is still there if it is do a quick format (which is one of your choices in recovery) this will remove what you have put on in the remainder of partition. System should hopefully be recovered.
If it does not recover post a reply I will see if there is another solution. And too all of you out there never buy a system without discs as the retailers and manufacturers are ripping you off in doing this.
 Alert Moderators
Praetorian

from Slovakia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:20 pm Reply with quote

hi guys
i didnt manage to load the recovery partition, also a non-starter icon_sad.gif i m giving up my hope to recover that hidden partition, because i did a disc format..
so my question belongs to BoDon
where you have the drivers from? i havent got the smallest idea what kind of hardware pieces my iqon has got built in..
please advise
thx
 Alert Moderators
trazor

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote

To install or update all the drivers you need, do the following ..

Click start/ control panel/ system/ hardware/ device manager.
If you find any yellow exclamation marks these drivers are not installed, right click on them, and follow the prompts to allow windows to find the latest driver.

You can right click on any of them, to update to the latest driver, even if you have a driver already installed.
 Alert Moderators
Praetorian

from Slovakia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote

okay! thanks alot icon_smile.gif

i finally found the solution by using SISOFT SANDRA diagnose, found out that my MB is the MSI MS-7173 and the rest was easy. Sound drivers were the Realtek High Definition Audio and my graphics card was one from ATI (Xpress200, 64MB) and the ATI´s Catalyst brought it to life.. icon_razz.gif

..am happy now! but I wont buy computers from tesco anymore icon_cool.gif
 Alert Moderators
poxi

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Well after a month of trying to fix my poxy Tesco PC, I finally found the answer here on this site. I Dont belive ittttttttt...Anyway a big thanks to the bloke who started this post 2 years ago...Full restore done the job.
 Alert Moderators
Moderator 11
Moderator Comment
Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:16 pm    Comment:

Please note rule 6 (Do not hi-jack posts.) - See here for the forum rules.
-
hijack posts removed

tinasue

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:04 pm Reply with quote

HELP please can someone tell me how to do a system recovery, I have followed instruction on booting up press f10 but can't seem to get to the system recovery.. icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: