Boiler help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old Myson Apollo boiler which has given us no trouble.
Suddenly we heard loud \\\"knocking noises\\\" that seemed to come from within the boiler itself.
As a result, the pump works. The pilot is on. Thermostat is up but the heating does not work - ie does not \\\" fire up\\\"
Can anyone give us some help or ideas as what this might be?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
HI
I am afraid it does not fire up for the hot water.

The sound that came from the area of the boiler/flue was like a hammer!!

.......and very loud.

r u sure the pump is working
boiler is too old to repair cost effectivley

Sponsored Links
it sounds like either the pump has stopped working or your system is full of air, have u got an air vent in your airing cupboard, u could unscrew the cap off the front of your pump to see if there is air.

Having just checked, the pump does not appear to be working.

Would that result in the boiler not firing up?

itwould result in the boiler getting extremely hot and banging like you say and if ya pilot is still lit then the boiler has just shut down on the high limit stat but without the pump working it will take ages for the boiler to cool which is why its not firing up again yet. if you can take the screw off the front of ya pump then put ya screwdriver in the hole and turn the pump manually this might free it, be careful as a bit water may come out

Thanks for that

Sorry to confuse you so much. Pump IS working. ( OH forgot to switch heating timer back on!)

Despite the pump working the boiler is not firing up even though it is now cold. Pilot is on.

OH has checked for any air in sysyem and none apparent.

Any ideas?

SOunds like the boiler might have a reset buttion which needs pressing. Search the case - top, bottom etc.

Dim memories of another post on this.

If it were the same as a Thorn apollo (now both myson and thorn have same owners so it's confusing) the overheat stat would put the pilot out.

i'm not sure, maybe there is a overheat button that needs pushing back in, its like a dark red colour with a button with like a cross on it... I would of thought if it had overheated then it would of took the pilot out with it so you may not find one of these.

We turned the boiler off at the mains and restarted it. Relit the pilot light and it fired up!

All was well working fine. After 10 minutes the noise started again. Loud clunking from boiler itself.....or maybe the flue?

is there a switch on it that says high or low, if u have it on high try it on low and vice versa. if all rads are hot it sounds like it isnt shutting down when it should so possibly a fault with high or low stat. either that or your heat exchanger may be scaled up inside

We have managed to get it going again....for the past 10 minutes. .........all quiet at the moment ..rads are warming up nicely......

It was set at "low"

I dont think that it was overheating because the boiler had been off for 3 hrs and only on for a ten minutes or so before the noise started again.

It is getting late now - i shall continue this post in the morning and keep you updated!

BTW Thank you all so much for your input! You have all been a great help so far!!

HI

We have easily put the heating back on this morning and all seems well so far..(after 2 hrs)

We are at a loss as to what happened with the loud clunking noise.It has not returned as yet.

The flue exits into the chimney which is covered over so that nothing can get into it.

Could a fan blade make this noise? is there one fitted to this boiler?

I think i should get the boiler checked over just to be safe.

Thank you all again for your help!

The flue exits into the chimney which is covered over so that nothing can get into it.
Eh? That's a bit ambiguous.

I thought these all had fans - you'd hear as soon as the boiler is told to "go", even before the flames light.

These boilers (if like the thorn apollo) do tend to make banging noises on "high" because they're mostly a bit scaled up now, and they overheat fairly readily. The thermostats aren't the most reliable but aren't very expensive (~ several pounds each).
Also the thermocouple is sometimes replaced with a non-"interrupter" one, which effectively disables the overheat thermostat - not a good idea!

I'd recommend you do get it looked at, checking that the thermostats are present and working, and the "chimney" is ok! Why it failed to start the other day remains a mystery, could be the gas valve decided to stick?

Recently went to an apollo which had been making awful noises and sometimes cutting out for 2 years, then finally there was no heat so it was switched off. Tenant had no CH for 2 more years, landlord got him to buy an electric heater which he moved about! When I got a call it was because the cast iron loo cistern had broken, and the guy had been using a bucket to flush it for 3 months before telling the landlord. Got someone else to do the loo, but asked about the CH. Landlord had though it was just one radiator not working properly and was livid when told the situation - told me to fix it, new boiler or whatever it took.
Changed the pump and his apollo is running as quiet as a mouse - that, plus a bit of balancing, is all it ever was. Tenant says I can call in for tea any time I'm passing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back