extractor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to replace my existing bathroom extractor. The wiring coming out of the wall is red, blue, yellow and what looks like bare copper.

My new extractor unit only needs live and neutral (presumably red and blue respectively). What do I do with the other 2 wires?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
ALEXMAC said:
Hi, I need to replace my existing bathroom extractor. The wiring coming out of the wall is red, blue, yellow and what looks like bare copper.

My new extractor unit only needs live and neutral (presumably red and blue respectively). What do I do with the other 2 wires?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 will be switched live and 1 will be perm live. youll probably need blue (neutral) and yellow (sw.live). conect earth to earth terminal or if DI connect it to a terminal block. check in light fitting for what colour is what, and disconnect live from there (and term block other end incase it gets re-conneced). dont cut anything short because you might need that connection again in the future

Thanks guys,

Is the copper wire the earth? The unit says it is double insulated and needs no earth connection.

Just to confirm:
1. put the blue wire in the neutral terminal
2. put the yellow wire in the live terminal

DO I PUT THE RED AND COPPER WIRES INTO A TERMINAL BLOCK?

Is that right? Sorry I'm new to electrics.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

Is the copper wire the earth? The unit says it is double insulated and needs no earth connection.
yes, its the earth. term block it
Just to confirm:
1. put the blue wire in the neutral terminal
youll have to check at the light

2. put the yellow wire in the live terminal

youll have to check at the light. altho that is how 99.9% are wired

DO I PUT THE RED AND COPPER WIRES INTO A TERMINAL BLOCK?
yes (obviously not the same terminal block, unless you want it to go bang). and put sleeving on the earth
Is that right? Sorry I'm new to electrics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back