Wiring a bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am trying to replace an existing bathroom fan with a new one. The old one used a junction box where the wires were mixed as follows:

electrical supply red to extractor fan brown
Electrical supply blue to extractor fan blue
Electrical supply yellow to extractor fan red
Electrical supply green/yellow is attached into one of the screws holding the fan to the wall.

Can somebody please confirm where the above wires should be fitted into my new extractor fan which has the following colours:

Black
Blue
Grey

I assume the green/yellow can still be connected to a screw holding the fan onto the wall.

Quite confusion for an electrical novice like me. I am able to isolate the electricity supply.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no convention on the colours of the internal fan wiring.
Do the termianls on the old and new fan have names or symbols like L, N, T etc??

If so, which colour wire is in which terminal (or post a photo).

ALso, it sounds like your old fan was a timer fan (ie it runs on after the light has been switched off) - this is often needed to clear away all of the steam.

Thanks for your speedy reply.

The old fan does not indicate name for the wires.

The new one does as follows

Black - live
Blue - neutral
Grey -LS2

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back