Built in oven connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, Just found this forum and it looks good.
I am about to refit my Kitchen and want to install a built in Oven. My old free standing Cooker was supplied from the CU via a 30amp fuse through a 30 amp cable. I have wired this size cable in anticipation of needing that ammount of supply for the new cooker.
I have not chosen the Oven yet but have noticed that a lot of them are able to run on a 13 amp plug. My question is, if I decide to buy one of these can I run it from the existing wiring that I have prepared if I use a lower rated fuse in the CU. I cant really begin the refit as the Oven tower has to be the first unit in.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
you can either keep same fuse and use fcu at cooker, or plug and socket, or change fuse and hard wire in. over rated cable is better than underrated

Are you planning to get a gas hob? If not, an electric hob will need your high-amperage cooker supply. Hobs use more power than ovens and will not run off a plug.

andy said:
you can either keep same fuse and use fcu at cooker, or plug and socket, or change fuse and hard wire in. over rated cable is better than underrated

Hi Andy,
Thank you for the information. I have bought a 2Kw oven and wondered if I should change the 30amp fuse to a lower rated one and run 2,5 cable from the CU directly to the oven. I was hoping to also run a double plug next to the housing for a couple of small appliances. could I run another cable from the same fuse in the CU.

Sponsored Links
hiccup said:
Hi Andy,
Thank you for the information. I have bought a 2Kw oven and wondered if I should change the 30amp fuse to a lower rated one and run 2,5 cable from the CU directly to the oven. I was hoping to also run a double plug next to the housing for a couple of small appliances. could I run another cable from the same fuse in the CU.

You haven't told us what sort of hob you intend to fit. For the oven, it will be much easier to run a spur from an existing socket in the kitchen.

But you could do it how you describe, just leave the chunky cable in place, and use it to feed your socket, in case it is needed for its intended use again in future. Leave the 30A fuse in place, and protect the oven locally with a 13A fuse, either in an FCU or in the plug top. This leaves you with the scope to add sockets if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back