Alpha CB24/CB28 Hot Water Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

Basically the heating on the system works fine, but the hot water will not work independently. ie: I only get hot water when the heating is on. So after the heating has finished it's bit (on the timer) I can go to a hot water tap and all I get is stone cold water. Yet if I manually turn the heating on and turn the hot water tap on, the water comes through nice and hot!

Is it the DHW Diaphragm?

Please point me in the right direction!

Sponsored Links
Is it the DHW Diaphragm?
Yes, or the equivalent in that boiler (e.g. flow switch). You need to look at the manual and fault finding guide - may be downloadable from Alpha web site.

Will keep you posted on what I find and how I get on.

Could it be a DHW Switch?

Is it a straight forward job to replace?

Will I need a plumber?

Thanks again

Is it a straight forward job to replace? Will I need a plumber?
It depends on your ability with such things. In most cases it's fairly straightforward - just a matter of undoing nuts and screws, although I don't know this particular boiler.

Sponsored Links
Removed the flow switch and pressed it in a couple of times and the boiler responded to what I was doing. Does this mean that the fault could still be the switch or could it be something else?

Thanks

------------------------------------------------
Car for sale: www.thebarlows.net/car.htm[/color][/size]

The Alpha CB28 boiler we had in our last house had exactly the same fault as yours, a new flow switch solved it.

Start with ch off and pipes relatively cool. Turn HW tap on full. Use the switch you have removed to turn the boiler on and feel the ch flow pipe (rightmost pipe). It shouldn't get warm. If it does you have a faulty diaphragm/diverter valve.

Basically have narrowed it down to the diaphragm.

Started working throught the manual on how to replace the bugger but have trouble when getting to the undo unit bolts connecting to the heat exchanger.
When I do this water comes flying out even though the supply is cut off and the drain point has got to a very slow drip! Is this normal?

Not when you do it right... :LOL:
You don't need to remove the boiler (b******r?)
Or the diverter valve
Or the dhw flow valve - though that might be easiest for you.
You only need to take the dhw flow valve apart.

Remember "we" have funny little tools... ;)

Thanks to everyone who's had a imput here.

Basically I've just replaced the diaphragm and now have instant hot water once again. It took me just over an hour and was just a little more patient than I was on my first effort.

I wouldn't have done it without the help from you guys on this forum!

THANKYOU

I seem to have a very similar problem with my Alpha CB28 (4 years old). The CH works fine. The DHW is tepramental. It is impossible to know when it will work or not.

I have read through the above postings and just want to try to pin point the problem with my boiler. When I turn on the hot tap and there's no hot water it seems to me the boiler isn't heating water (no signs of exhaust at the flue and no noise of ignition at the boiler).

Does this sound like a DHW flow switch problem or is it the DHW diverter valve?

Is the diverter valve aka the diaphragm? Or is the diaphragm the faulty part that needs changing inside the diverter valve?

Any help greatly appreciated before I continue with a repair.

PD

Hi PILOTDAVO

Basically, when my boiler was firing up to heat up the radiators I had hot water. And when the boiler stopped doing the heating bit the water from the hot tap became cold again.

I had a hot water tap running, removed the flow switch and pressed on it several times and each time the boiler responded and heated up the hot water. This to me indicated that the switch was OK but the diaphragm wasn't! (DHW flow valve) When the diaphragm was removed, it had a hole in it the size of a pea so obviously couldn't do what it's meant to do.

So removing the 'DHW Flow Valve' and replacing the diaphragm within sorted out my HW issue.

Hope this helps!

I think I might have a slightly different probem then. The CH works fine. The DHW also works fine most of the time. When I lose HW it makes no difference if the CH is on or not it seems. I'll follow the same diagnosis as you and see if I have a faulty switch or bust diaphragm.

Was it an easy job to open and replace the diaphragm? Am I correct in saying it's located in the diverter valve?

Thanks for you help.

Hi Pilotdavo

We've got the same fault with our 4 year old Alpha CB28 boiler... what was the fault with yours in the end?

It's been suggested it's the diaphragm or flow switch?

Thanks

Hi there, I sorted out the initial problem by replacing the diaphragm. This game me back the hot water on demand for several weeks. Then the problem started again but this time I just replaced the flow switch and haven't had any trouble since!

I think I paid £15 for the diaphragm and around £30 for the switch from the local plumbers merchants.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back