Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that this subject has been covered so many times before, but here is my problem:

3 black wires and 3 red wires, how do i know which one is the switch wire,as 2 of the black wires are also live.? please help me!

do i connect all the 3 reds together into L and the switch wire with it which is black?

can some please explain it to me?

Sponsored Links
Use a multimeter set to ohms range to check the cables individually. Firstly turn off the power and check it is off. Separate out the cables. Put meter across red&black on one cable, operate switch. If meter reads from high to low resistance (or vice versa) when the switch is operated this is the switch wire. If there is no change, try a different cable.

Thanks so much. one I have id the switch wire can I put it in with the reds into L and all the other black into N.

ans why do I have 2 blacks that are live?

Thanks so much. one I have id the switch wire can I put it in with the reds into L and all the other black into N.
see for reference
ans why do I have 2 blacks that are live?unlikely. you should be testing for the siwtch with the power off to start with...

Sponsored Links
Tanz said:

ans why do I have 2 blacks that are live?
NO! connect the switch black to the live on the light fitting.

The other lives do not connect to the light - just connect them together.

All neutrals connect together.

I have just put the reds together, but have failed to id the switch wire, as 2 out of the three blacks are live. I checked it with a tester switching the light on and off, but both wires remain live.??????

Am I right in saying once the switch light is found, that goes into L.

All reds taped up and left alone

and the remaining black go into N.

I just don't understand whats going on PLEASE HELP. I think the bathroom light is also linked? as thats not working anymore?

Tanz said:
I have just put the reds together, but have failed to id the switch wire, as 2 out of the three blacks are live. I checked it with a tester switching the light on and off, but both wires remain live.??????

Am I right in saying once the switch light is found, that goes into L.

All reds taped up and left alone

and the remaining black go into N.

I just don't understand whats going on PLEASE HELP. I think the bathroom light is also linked? as thats not working anymore?

TEST FOR THE SWITCH WITH THE POWER OFF

then you can find switch, and take it from there. if your not gonna take any notice, call a sparky.

ffs

Look in for reference for diagrams, they might help you understand better.

You should be using your multimeter on resistance setting, ohms, or the bleeping continuity setting, and testing each cable set for continuity while someone flicks the switch. WITH THE POWER OFF!

connect the switch wires as you have been told about 4 times - red to the other reds, and black to the light's live. The other blacks connect together and also connect to the light's neutral.

EDIT: your bathroom light wont work while you have all these wires dangling out of the ceiling - the power loops from fitting to fitting to the last fitting. It sounds like you are trying to use the circuit while doing this work. PLEASE ISOLATE THIS CIRCUIT WHILE THESE WIRES ARE NOT CONNECTED!!!! unless you really dont like someone in your family

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back