What Type of Shower Light ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

The wife and i are shopping for bathroom lights at the moment for the en suite in our loft conversion. She's insisting on a ceiling light for the shower but having read around various forums i get the impression that the light would have to be connected up to a junction box in the roof void. As we don't have access to this void would this mean i'd have to have a hole big enough in the ceiling to get access to the JB ? Dont fancy a draughty hole in the ceiling :cry:

If this is the case i think i'd prefer a wall light.

Sponsored Links
If it's all planned and specced properly in advance, the electrician will have no problems installing a ceiling light.

Just tell him, or the builder, what you want.

OK thanks for answering.

Im not concerned about the difficulty installing it im more worried about having to have a hole in the ceiling as the area above it is ventilated so any hole will be subject to hefty draughts.

to gain access to any JB above the ceiling, you can fit them above / near the downlight. Then simply pull the downlight out when you need to get to the junction box. They are only held in by spring clips. Easily pulled out. But as Ban said, and as long as the light is properly protected, there should bt no problem . . . and you shouldn't need a junction box above the light anyway . . . :confused:

and when have you ever seen a big hole next to any downlighters? :eek:

Sponsored Links
If it's all planned and specced properly in advance, the electrician will have no problems installing one of those lights.

For info we decided to go to the local CEF and discussed this with them. The guy there was very helpful said that we wouldn't have to have a junction box the wires will just poke through a small hole in the ceiling and the connectors are done inside the fitting with blocks ( i think he said chocolate blocks but i may have misheard )

So the wife is happy now she has her light . :)

obviously you missed the post earlier in the thread said:
there should be no problem . . . and you shouldn't need a junction box above the light anyway . . . :confused:

No, not at all. I appreciate your attempt to help crafty but i thought you meant in conjunction with a recessed light but i was talking about a flush light.

Sometimes its not straightforward making yourself understood is it ? Much easier to explain face to face . Apart from in places like B+Q but then you don't expect the sheds to be of much help anyway do you. ;)

if the electrician is good, he can make all the joints at the lightswitch and just run the single cable out to the light. Therefore you dont have any more joints than neccesary near the light, regardless of what sort of fitting it is. ;)

... unless its being used in conjunction with an extractor fan / triple pole isolator apparently ??

;) ;)

Shaunoffshotgun said:
... unless its being used in conjunction with an extractor fan / triple pole isolator apparently ??
its still possible to make all the connections at the light switch. ;)

securespark said:
Shaunoffshotgun said:
If this is the case i think i'd prefer a wall light.

In the shower????

Each to their own, I'd prefer a 19 y/o black haired goth girl in the shower personally ;) , but if wall lights do it for you, i'm not one to judge... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back