Continuity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed a socket and checked the cables for continuity. I have continuity between red and red, but also between red and black. Is this right??

Sponsored Links
It is a ring circuit, then?

If you have an appliance plugged in and switched on, at another socket or an FCU, then it will be providing a path between the P and N. Unplug them all and try agan. Do you know the resistance between the red and black?

p.s. in answer to your question "no"

I don't know the resistance as i only have a continuity tester.

It is a ring circuit.

Does this mean that if anything is plugged into any other plug socket in the house then i will get continuity between red and black??

If it is something simple like a lamp, a kettle, or a heater, then, yes. They work by connecting a piece of (resistance) wire between the P&N. It gets hot by the current passing through it (you knew that, didn't you? Or are you the guy with a cannabis plantation in his loft?).

You will have someone along in a minute saying you should check the resistance in the ring, and betwen P&N, and to earth.

But if you are searching, e.g. for a cut or disconnected point in a ring, a continuity test is a start.

Sponsored Links
test between black and black, red and red, earth and earth. if all three give continuity, you have a ring. ideally, you should be measuring resistance too, as you can have continuity but high resistance (as your red-black continuity is probably showing)

As said, unplug everything, turn off all switches, FCUs, and try again.

sotonblue said:
I have removed a socket and checked the cables for continuity. I have continuity between red and red, but also between red and black. Is this right??
Why did you measure between red & black?

What did you think you would find, and why?

What did you think the reading would tell you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back