Loft Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I would like to install a socket in my loft. Can I split a socket cable which is running across my loft and fit a junction box or socket to it ? The new socket is for a single light only.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Agags-Groove

Sponsored Links
Agags-Groove said:
Hi All,
I would like to install a socket in my loft. Can I split a socket cable which is running across my loft and fit a junction box or socket to it ? The new socket is for a single light only.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Agags-Groove

As long as it is not part of a spur from a ring main it is OK to do it like this, just make sure any new cable is the same size as the original. Please note junction boxes should be accessable for inspection. I take it by this you are just going to plug the light in?

A lot of houses don't have socket cables in their lofts. How does there come to be one in yours? Is it feeding a socket already, on a spur or as part of a ring? This affects whether you can do what you describe.

However, you say you only want to fit a lamp to it. All lofts have plenty of lighting circuit cables in them, would you be happy to add an extra lamp on there?

Hi,
The light will be plugged in , but i would consider a switched Fcu (?) if thats ok. My main concern is how to determine if the t & e in my loft is ok to split. Like you said about it not being part of a spur. How can i tell the difference between a spur and the ring main cable ?

Many Thanks

Agags-Groove

Sponsored Links
John,
A good point ! I assumed the cables were for sockets ! I think i might be getting out of my depth trying to wire a light from a lighting cable , or are can you just add a spur/light to them ? havn't got a clue !!

Many Thanks

Agags-Groove

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back