Jaguar CH Boiler Weird Noise/Vibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,Hope you might be able to help.I have a Jaguar 23kw Boiler about 4 years old.Over the last week or so it has started making a weird grrrrr/buzzing/fast ticking noise....pretty hard to describe a noise!! It is also accompanied with a light vibration which you can feel if you touch the casing or even the pipes at the bottom.Everything still seems to function ok,ie radiators still hot and hot water fine.At first I thought it was the pump so I took that off and checked it for any obvious wear,the impeller spun freely and did not seem worn at all.Although it did have some movement along it's shaft,it could be pulled out about 10mm and pushed back,is this normal?Anyway I put that back and still the noise was there.I then checked the flue fan but again that was fine and seemed to spin very freely.I also live in a very soft water area so I don't think it will be scale,I read this can clog everything up!!The noise is worse with the just central heating on,especially after about 20 minutes or so,although you can also hear it slighty with just the hot water on and it also seems to get slightly quieter if you switch the hot water on with the central heating on(does that make sense!!).The worst noise still seems to come from the pump,towards the back.Oh forgot to mention but the pump seems to take longer to stop after boiler is closed down.Well hope I have explained it ok and would really appreciate any advice/help,Many Thanks,Cheers Carl

Sponsored Links
i cannot be bothered to read all this . keep it short

I assume the pump is a Wilo or a Jaguar badged Wilo.

An endfloat of about 7 mm is normal but 10 mm seems excessive. Have you really measured 10 mm ???

Its normal for a boiler to make some noise and vibration from the pump can resonate with the case and the pipes.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,Thanks for reply,it's much appreciated.Yes you are correct about the pump being badged as Jaguar and no sorry I didn't actually measure the end float at 10mm...just a guess. Up until last week the boiler/pump has been pretty quiet but the noise,whatever it is,has got much louder now.I have a horrible feeling something is about to break!! I am fairly handy but,daft as it sounds, just cannot figure out where the noise is actually coming from.If it was the pump would I have been able to feel "sideways" movement in the impeller when I took it apart??Do I need to replace it with exactly the same model,it has push fit for inlet & Outlet pipes and an electrical connection with 3 pins,Cheers Carl

Yopu can probably use a standard Wilo pump head only and make direct cable connections.

Be aware that there are many models of pump but the differences are often minute.

Tony

Thanks Tony,just spotted a few new Wilo pumps on Ebay that look very similar,especially an Ideal isar icos one.Might give that a go,will let you know if it makes any difference,All the Best Carl

Have you got any thermostatic rad valves if so it is worth checking the noise is not coming from one of them . when the noise starts go around turning them off one by one see if the noise stops

good luck

Thanks for another good tip,it really is appreciated.Most of the radiators ,apart from two,do have thermostatic valves.Just tried turning them off but it's not them either..good try though.One thing I did notice was that when I turned any radiator off from the other valve on the radiator ..is it the gate valve?The noise in the boiler increased slightly in speed,Cheers Carl

It still might be!

Try turning the TRVs to setting "1" and run the heating for a while.

The front of the pumps all look the same. The differences are at the impeller end!

Tony

Thanks Again Tony,I nearly bought a new Wilo pump online because the head looked identical to mine...didn't think they might be different internally(Doh!!!).I might take mine down to the local plumb centre to see which head unit matches up and then shop around...bit strapped for cash at the mo'.
I tried turning down all TRV's to 1 and running for a few hours.It may have been slightly quieter but the strange thing is that when I opened the valves back up,the noise from the boiler virtually stopped for a while,when the temp and pressure fell down.As soon as the temperature and pressure got back up after the initial fall the noise gradually came back.When the boiler was reading about 35 oC and about 1.5 bar(approx) it was quiet,back up at 75 oC and 2.5 bar (approx) it was very noisy again.Does this make any sense?? Cheers Carl

The jag probably has a built in auto bypass. These have a pressure valve at one end so they only pass whent he pressure reaches a certain value.

These valves can chatter!!

I dont think you need a new pump!

Tony

Thanks Tony,chatter is probably the best word I have heard to describe the noise,(I tried grrrr,brrrr,etc!!!) I had a quick look at the schematic and it does have an auto by pass,cannot actually see it in the boiler though.Can this part be replaced or is it just a question of living with the noise.What happens if the auto by pass valve breaks entirely?? I'm used to messing about with cars,these boliers have me flumaxed,All the Best Carl

Mine was making the same noise and four weeks later its gone, need to buy a new one!! My plumber said the Jaguar boilers are a pile of S**t. Recently inherited from new house and just spent a fortune on a flue extension for the conservatory. Good Luck!!

And two years later you add to someone elses posting?

The Jaguar boiler is quite a nice little unit.

Pity your "plumber" does not understand them!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back