Vaillant Ecomax - condensate leakage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While on the line waiting for Vaillant Technical to reply, I thought I'd fill in the time (30 mins so far! - "you're call is important to us and we are sorry for the delay, but please be assured that we are doing out utmost to answer you" :rolleyes: ).

I have condensate leakage from near the back of the main heat exchanger on 2 Ecomaxes installed about 3 years ago. My guess is that the seal between the heat exchanger and the condensate collector is leaking. It looks like a design or manufacturing fault. Has anyone else come across this problem?

Sponsored Links
I have chris, the seal at the back fails,they had a bit of trouble with it so they have upgraded it now.

you have to take out the heat exchanger but its a walk in the park mate nice and easy

Thanks for that, corgiman.

When I eventually got a reply from Vaillant (38 minutes!) they denied that there was a known problem with this seal (!), but suggested that I ought to get a new condensate collector and not just the ring seal (more profit for V! - I'm rapidly going off them as my preferred manufacturer).

Are you saying that I am only likely to need to replace the ring seal?

Just on a more general note, why does the customer end up paying for design and manufacturing defects? Shouldn't the manufacturers take responsibility for their products?

yes the just the seal needs replacing.

and i agree with you but try getting so joy out of them

Sponsored Links
when i have replaced them you get a kit that includes seal and plastic flue condesate collector, and yes modified parts should be free

Thanks gordongas. I've been checking on parts numbers and prices. As you say, it looks like V prefer to sell the whole condensate collector and seals (up to £100, depending on model). I will try to get the ring seal only, which should be less than a tenner!

There ought to be some agency checking on reliability of boilers who can force manufacturers to do a "recall" for defective design or components, as seems to be done with cars.

It is modified , if you get just the ring seal it will not fit Chris.......same as the glow worm CXI and HXI range.

Thanks for that HG. Funny that Vaillant technical didn't make that clear. But very useful to know.

chrishutt said:
Thanks for that HG. Funny that Vaillant technical didn't make that clear. But very useful to know.

what the same lot that wouldnt admit the plastic water section on the MK1 turbomax was c**p but started replacing it with a brass one ;)

vaillant have been doing tero-fit on boilers in my area if boiler is in warranty or on insurance they have also been fitting a low water pressure switch kit as part of the same exercise i wopuld see if you can get these parts free as its aknown/fault.

Thanks for that, gasgeezer. I'll have another go at Vaillant over this.

Sorry to jump on the band wagon, didnt have much to do with V,s in the past, i dealt mainly with Worcesters. Doing a lot ov work for a gov scheme now and amount of v, D / V im changing is stupid. apparentley they have shaved a few thou of the inside of them to stop them jamming, not sure if its true. :confused:

Vaillant diverter valves have a terrible record of unreliability, despite lots of modifications. I think they're made by Giannoni. If the search facility on this forum is working you might find lots of complaints about this. Also expect lots of APS problems.

Thanks for that chris, mostly Turbomax and the wonderfull Echo max that leaks acidic crap inside and rots the inside of the boiler. Iv come across this a lot in the last year or so. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back