Kitchen Extract Fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wiring a Vent Axia VA150T kitchen fan (with timer) from a lighting circuit via a 13amp double pole isolating switch.
The fan terminals have a LS live switch terminal.
The wiring diagram shows the fan wired from a ceiling rose via a 3 pole isolator switch with the LS terminal connected to the switched live terminal in the rose.
I don't want the fan switched from the light switch so why can't I just wire from the lighting circuit without wiring the LS terminal?

Sponsored Links
Connect the L and Ls together to L, N - N, E-E (the run on timer won't work though). If you want to use the timer you can add a switch between L and LS.

Thanks Spark 123.
It seems it bit odd to have two switches in the circuit to keep the timer function? Perhaps I should just wire to the ceiling rose and only switch the double pole on when the fan is needed?

"sparky"boy, your fan has a timed overrun by the sound of it. It takes a permenant live and a switched live. spark123 told you how to wire it so the lightswitch doesn't control the fan (strange thing to want to do).

If you were thinking of using the 3-pole isolator to switch it, think again. That is only there for maintenance purposes. Usually see the 3-pole at the ceiling level with the flex for the fan coming out of the bottom. Fan is then switched from a pull switch somewhere. Fit another pullswitch on the ceiling for the fan.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you.
I am very strange but lovely really.
PS:The reason I don't want to switch the fan from the light switch is because I don't always want the fan on when the light on.....and I might want the fan on when the light is not on.

oh hang on, i didnt read the fact that this is a KITCHEN FAN. i know what you mean now about not wanting it to be on with the lights. Fit a switch on the wall, below the fan. If you are using the timed overrun featuer (with L and SL supply), you will still need the 3-pole iso, but if you just want it to go off with the switch, you dont need the isolator and the single switch will suffice, just link L and SL. mark it with "fan" or something

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back