main pump sticking intermittently - Zanussi DW905 - 10 years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sometimes my main pump seems unable to restart part way through the cycle.
I have removed all the covers & the pump has only a small degree of stiffness if I turn the impeller by hand (powered off of course).
If I run the machine with the pump covers off & the door open (safety overridden), I can see the pump sometimes creeps forward then starts, and sometimes just refuses to start unless I poke it with a tool. Once the pump is running then the flow rate is fine & it looks like it is developing full power.

I am reluctant to invest in a new pump because the machine is 10 years old, but I would like to keep it going if I can.

Can anyone suggest why the motor is slightly stiff to turn (is it the water seals?). Is this normal?

Can anyone suggest why the motor has difficulty overcoming the stiffness, do I need to service it in some way?

Last bit of info, if I loosen the screw on the end of the impeller then the motor turns with out any noticeable friction.

Thanks for any comments & help.
Mike.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back