Reinstating door/s in an internal archway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're in the process of buying a house but there is an internal archway between the dining room & kitchen that we would like to close with a glass panel door or double doors. Unfortuneately the width and height of the arch i think will cause a problem, it's 43" wide & 85" high but with the curve of the archstarting before the height of the door therefore it's not square. Anybody any ideas on what i can do? Thanks. Greg

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you'll need to make a frame with an arched head to match the brickwork. That or make a frame where the top is arched and the bottom flat.

Scrit

Knock on the arch section with your fist. If it is hollow it is just a mesh arch.
Knock it out until you have a large rectangular door and build a new frame to suit new doors. Don't try to work around anything that you don't have to.

joe

Awe Joe, you're no fun! Arched head work is fun to do and looks sooooo nice. Really. But OK, if it's a false un' then probably a better approach.

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice so far lads, very helpful. I can't get back into the house again for a while to test if its false or not but i'll try it as soon as i gain access. I like the easy option if possible.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back