Cutting Contiboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people first post :D

I'm building my daughter some fitted wardrobes with the main ingredient conti, i'll be using a hand power saw and know that the best cut face will be the underside but what edge will be best ?? the first edge that the blade touches or the last edge that it cuts through??

Hope someone can make sense of that as i'm struggling!!

I'm a bit tight with the wood so can only make one wrong cut :rolleyes:

Thanks people for any tips

Matt

Sponsored Links
If you are using the correct blade & its sharp & you cut gently, they will both be ok.

Diyisfun said:
If you are using the correct blade & its sharp & you cut gently, they will both be ok.

Thanks Diyisfun, it's a new blade so will rip it any way thats easy for me

Cheers

Matt

Matt_B said:
I'm building my daughter some fitted wardrobes with the main ingredient conti, i'll be using a hand power saw and know that the best cut face will be the underside but what edge will be best ?? the first edge that the blade touches or the last edge that it cuts through??
Hi Matt

Make all your cuts from the same side of the board. The better quality cuts will be on the underside of the board as you cut it. Try to reduce the depth of cut of the circular saw so that the teeth project through the board you are cutting only 3 to 4 mm.

Try to make your cuts so that any chipping will be hidden by joints or in inside corbners (less noticeable than outside of the carcass)

Scrit

Sponsored Links
Make sure the end you are cutting doesn't sag or you'll find it cracks the corner off. Use a blade that has many teeth rather than a rip saw.

joe

I always use Bosche 101br downward cut jigsaw blades and a quality jigsaw. The good cut is then on top where you have scribed.

loscurrie said:
I always use Bosche 101br downward cut jigsaw blades and a quality jigsaw. The good cut is then on top where you have scribed.
The problem with using a jig saw is that it's impossible to get a truly straight edge in MFC (melamine faced chipboard) - or one straight enough to be edge-banded. A circular saw and a batten are a far more accurate approach.

Scrit

All the wardrobes i make are scribed to the wall but for a straight cut with no chipping and suitable for edging I would use the Festool saw and track. I would love a panel saw but it won't fit in the living room :) .

loscurrie said:
All the wardrobes i make are scribed to the wall but for a straight cut with no chipping and suitable for edging I would use the Festool saw and track. I would love a panel saw but it won't fit in the living room :) .
I agree, i use a Festool plunge saw and track.

You must use a blade designed to cut this type of laminate; yes, a large number of teeth is a must so is the profile of each tooth. If you've got a lot of cuts to do invest in a clamp-on guide as this will save you the very awkward task of positioning & clamping a battern as a sawing guide.

Has anyone heard anything further about the new blade mentioned by Max Ashton?
I'd like to get hold of some to make cutting laminated board easier.
:D

Has anyone heard anything further about the new blade mentioned by Max Ashton?
I'd like to get hold of some to make cutting laminated board easier.
:D

Currently in production but still waiting for the launch date but will be available first in the UK in both standard and scroll cut versions.

:idea: I have recently fitted out boxed shelving in a utility room using Conti Board and 'tested' various cutting methods before starting (Jig saw, Hand Saw, Circular Saw, Reciprocating Saw)

The best and cleanest cut was given by a B&D Scorpion saw (reciprocating saw) using the normal blade and cutting at an angle of around 30 degrees. Around 25 cuts were made without excessive splintering.

You could try scribing the underside along the length of the cut prior to sawing (I use one blade of a broken pair of cheap stainless steel scissors for this purpose) With the right saw blade, a near perfect, clean cut can be made in thiis way without creating a ragged edge - Chairman of the Bored

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back